Hello from Castleford

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Rod
Grayling

Re: Hello from Castleford

Post by Rod »

:welcome:
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Welcome, enjoy the forum!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Paul_Atack wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:43 am
Stathamender wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:04 pm Welcome, Paul. Castleford eh? So far from God, so close to Kippax. We have quite a few folk here in S Yorkshire so get-togethers are possible. I assume if you're a canal fisherman mainly (as am I) in your case it would be the Aire and Calder? Never fished but it's on my list.
Hi Iain, yes the Aire and Calder is the place I go to more than any other, must get myself sorted and back on there soon. I also do a little flyfishing at Walton Hall in wakefield again with a cane rod, its the only way to go!

Paul
PS One of my clubs, Doncaster and District, is a member of the C&A consortium that controls the 11 miles east of Great Heck and I've been meaning to get out there for a while and try out the weighted slider approach I've been using lately on the S Yorks Navigation. It will have to wait until late June though.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Welcome aboard Paul :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Paul_Atack
Stickleback

Post by Paul_Atack »

Stathamender wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:05 am
Paul_Atack wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:43 am
Hi Iain, yes the Aire and Calder is the place I go to more than any other, must get myself sorted and back on there soon. I also do a little flyfishing at Walton Hall in wakefield again with a cane rod, its the only way to go!

Paul
You're also quite close to that stretch of the Calder by the Mexborough Arms at Altofts about which I've heard good things. Controlled by Mirfield AC (formerly The Gas Club) I believe. Have you fished it?
No not as yet, but I have fished the stretch that is part of Birkwood fisheries in altofts which was a great day, have just had a look at the Mirfield AC website and it looks rather good with plenty of waters near me so may join and spend the year fishing new places which is always fun

Cheers

Paul

Crafty Carassius
Ruffe

Post by Crafty Carassius »

Welcome to the bankside, Paul.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Paul_Atack wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:52 pm No not as yet, but I have fished the stretch that is part of Birkwood fisheries in altofts which was a great day, have just had a look at the Mirfield AC website and it looks rather good with plenty of waters near me so may join and spend the year fishing new places which is always fun

Cheers

Paul
I hear from the Mirfield secretary that all of their waters are day ticket except Mexbro' Estate (Calder) ,Woodnook, Reedsmire,and Lindley Wood. May try some of these out from late June on.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Paul_Atack
Stickleback

Post by Paul_Atack »

Could anyone help identify this rod please?

Its 10 and a half feet long, inscribed with allcocks and co Redditch in the brass

ImageIMG_20170501_213337 by Paul Atack, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20170501_212929 by Paul Atack, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20170501_212914 by Paul Atack, on Flickr

Condition of the rod is pretty good, apart from the bottom ring in which the agate is badly grooved so will need replacement

any help greatfully received

Paul

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Paul, you could really do with posting your rod question in the appropriate place on the forum, you stand a much better chance of someone seeing it and helping. :Hat:

Paul_Atack
Stickleback

Post by Paul_Atack »

Ok will do, thank you.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”