Good Evening from Bethnal Green

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Aitch
Pike

Re: Good Evening from Bethnal Green

Post by Aitch »

Welcome to the forum, Sir... I'm not that far away from you in deepest Ongar in Essex... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

A very warm welcome to you Perry. You're gonna enjoy this!!!!

Pelj54
Minnow

Post by Pelj54 »

Ljm183 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:22 pm :welcome: Perry

I used to fish Vicky Park in the 60,s and used Lees in Roman Rd. to buy Maggots on the way.

John Lee i first met when he had his shop in Columbia Rd (Flower Market) and fished with him and a few of his customers in Ireland. He then moved shop the Stepney Green. Whitehorse Rd . before closing that shop to move out of London. Not heard from him in a long time.

Lee.
Thank you Lee,
I used to get my maggots on Sunday mornings from his shop in the Flower Market and there would always be several blokes standing around talking fishing.I was disappointed when he moved to Whitehorse Rd as it was a bit of a trot to get their from my place in Haggerston,it became a wet fish and seafood shop after he left but still carried his name on the awning.(was it his ?)I also went to Johnny Mitchell's tackle shop on "the Waste" as we knew it locally on Kingsland Rd.Just like you I fished Vicky Park lake as a youngster and I was a bit sad when they drained the lake a while ago and took the fish out.It has reverted back to a boating lake now,but you can still fish the little lake in the third part of the park,which has been extended and restocked.
Thanks Lee for the trip down memory lane.

Pelj54
Minnow

Post by Pelj54 »

Harry wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:59 pm Welcome to the forum, Sir... I'm not that far away from you in deepest Ongar in Essex... :Hat:
Thank you Harry,
That's a very Historic part of Essex you are in,is'nt it.My wife and myself went through Chipping Ongar and Ongar to visit St Andrews church in a Greensted,a beautiful wooden building as you probably know.Do you fish the Roding at all,I have often wondered what sort of fishing it produces

Pelj54
Minnow

Post by Pelj54 »

Mick wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:15 pm A very warm welcome to you Perry. You're gonna enjoy this!!!!
Thank you Mick

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Pelj54 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:05 pm
Harry wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:59 pm Welcome to the forum, Sir... I'm not that far away from you in deepest Ongar in Essex... :Hat:
Thank you Harry,
That's a very Historic part of Essex you are in,is'nt it.My wife and myself went through Chipping Ongar and Ongar to visit St Andrews church in a Greensted,a beautiful wooden building as you probably know.Do you fish the Roding at all,I have often wondered what sort of fishing it produces
Good evening Perry... I know the church very well... my wife and I were married there, and I live less than a mile from it.... It's reputedly the oldest wooden church in the world.... It still has a leper pit and lepers viewing windows :shocked:

The Roding is very close to me and the Cripsey (a tributary) is even closer... both are shadows of their former self with infestations of crays, and repeated pollutions have detracted from their shine over the years, but both Ongar and District and Billericay and District have a fair bit of water worth spending a day on... I'm presently plotting a campaign on the tiny River Wid in Writtle which is a superb little water with untapped treasures, I intend to spent the late Autumn and Winter stalking it's banks with cane and pin.... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

A warm welcome to you .
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

Pelj54
Minnow

Post by Pelj54 »

KenSowerbutts wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:01 pm A warm welcome to you .
Thank you Ken.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

A week or so back I could see peeking out from behind a being renovated shop front a sign saying Mitchell's Fishing tackle . This is in another location . In Dalton lane opposite the top of Graham road..

Vicky park was restocked after the olympics and has a nice head of Tench now

Good fishing in the Old Lea in Hackney too behind Hackney marshes

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Welcome to the TFF Perry ,you will enjoy it here and the members are so knowledgable and always willing to help
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”