Hello from across the pond.

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Iasgair
Chub

Re: Hello from across the pond.

Post by Iasgair »

Firebird wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:45 pm Good to have you on the forum. I look forward to your accounts of fly fishing in the Rockies. Just as you have an ambition to fish the English chalk rivers, I have one to fish the N American rivers, especially Yellowstone and rivers like Henry's Fork.

Well, if it's Yellowstone you want, you better hurry. They keep talking about the super volcano erupting in about ten years, but no one really knows when it will erupt again. Though the area is heating up.
If it does erupt, half this country will be gone.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Iasgair wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:21 pm
Gudgeon Basher wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:52 am Grizzly bears, brown bears and mountain lions.....and we worry about crayfish, mitten crabs, otters and cormorants, puts that somewhat into perspective doesn't it!!

Yeah, my wife wants me to carry a weapon when I go to some areas known to have these critters. I just take bear spray with me. It not only works for bears, but it keeps rude fishermen from approaching you unexpectedly. :laugh1:
I need some of this bear spray, sounds fantastic stuff :Hahaha:

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Welcome aboard, Iasgar

I'm in nearby Michigan. I keep promising myself I will improve my casting and presentation and go up to the `holy waters' of the Au Sable, but never quite manage it. I'm too happy fishing the Grand for catfish and carp, and catching bass on woolly buggers in the Huron. As a traditionalist, do you see yourself as a latter-day Brad Pitt in `A river runs through it?'

Enjoy the forum.

G. B.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Welcome to the forum Iasgair :Hat: A great introduction, I am sure you will enjoy it here.

Looking forward to seeing some of those scenic photos.

Wal.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Mitch300 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:44 pm Welcome aboard, Iasgar

I'm in nearby Michigan. I keep promising myself I will improve my casting and presentation and go up to the `holy waters' of the Au Sable, but never quite manage it. I'm too happy fishing the Grand for catfish and carp, and catching bass on woolly buggers in the Huron. As a traditionalist, do you see yourself as a latter-day Brad Pitt in `A river runs through it?'

Enjoy the forum.

G. B.

Hello Mitch300, keep it up with the casting and presentation. Presentation is the #1 thing to focus on, all else is secondary. Ah yes, the great Au Sable. I have a good friend in Grayling Mich. who lives on that river. It must be something special for as popular it is. I would just go and fish it, because you'll never know what awaits if you don't try. Always experience what's around the next bend on the river, you may be surprised.

As for the Brad Pitt thing, well, to be honest, he's better for the camera than I am, ha ha, but in a way yes, I think I am. Just like in the movie, I wet wade most of the time like they did back then, and even though I don't carry a creel, I do have a traditional looking fishing satchel to carry my flies and such. I do have my grandfathers wicker creel hanging on my wall with his bamboo rods. I have to say that old wicker creels have so much character.
Here in Colorado the fishing season for trout is the whole year, so I only wear waders when it gets cold, from mid Autumn to late Spring. I will admit that I do have rods made of other materials, and I do love them, but nothing beats the feel of bamboo.
And as for jumping in the river and being washed down the rapids with a fish on the other end of the line, I haven't done that.....yet. Depends on the size of the fish.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

On the thoughts of fishing on your own I personally would have a 9 mm browning auto I was on holiday in Ireland visiting relations I went rabbit shooting with a young man from the village walking along a field by a river there was a herd of cows they parted to reveal the largest red coloured bull I have ever seen he started kicking up clods of earth and grass he was not happy we were near his girls we had two cartridges left and a single barrel gun he was getting very upset at us we had nowhere to go I told my friend if he charges fire over his head then with the last shot shoot him he charged a shot over his head stopped him in his tracks :Beg: I do believe if we had not had that gun we would have died that day if I was in America I would not go fishing without one :Hat: mike

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Blimey Black Prince , I would want something with more stopping power than a 9mm to feel safe .

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Black Prince wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 am On the thoughts of fishing on your own I personally would have a 9 mm browning auto I was on holiday in Ireland visiting relations I went rabbit shooting with a young man from the village walking along a field by a river there was a herd of cows they parted to reveal the largest red coloured bull I have ever seen he started kicking up clods of earth and grass he was not happy we were near his girls we had two cartridges left and a single barrel gun he was getting very upset at us we had nowhere to go I told my friend if he charges fire over his head then with the last shot shoot him he charged a shot over his head stopped him in his tracks :Beg: I do believe if we had not had that gun we would have died that day if I was in America I would not go fishing without one :Hat: mike
Shooting a charging bull will only serve to make it more angry. I've seen a cow dispatched with 1oz solid, rifled slugs from a shotgun when they were stood still and a steady aim was taken. It took three shots - from a police marksman. Trust me, the ammo used would go through a bus queue so your single barrel would be like hitting it with a twig. You were lucky that day :Wink:

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

I know very lucky Dave it would of bounced of but I could not have thought of any thing else to say a few times in my life a guardian angel saved me :Beg: :surrender: a happy mike :Thumb:

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Black Prince wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 am On the thoughts of fishing on your own I personally would have a 9 mm browning auto I was on holiday in Ireland visiting relations I went rabbit shooting with a young man from the village walking along a field by a river there was a herd of cows they parted to reveal the largest red coloured bull I have ever seen he started kicking up clods of earth and grass he was not happy we were near his girls we had two cartridges left and a single barrel gun he was getting very upset at us we had nowhere to go I told my friend if he charges fire over his head then with the last shot shoot him he charged a shot over his head stopped him in his tracks :Beg: I do believe if we had not had that gun we would have died that day if I was in America I would not go fishing without one :Hat: mike

The only time I ever felt threatened was the time I was in the RMNP, and I was in the Colorado River walking along some willows looking for a clearing to get out of the water. I was watching where I was placing my feet and I found an area where I could get out. I stepped out of the water and looked up to see a cow moose 8 feet away from me with a mouth full of grass. I could have poked her nose with my fly rod. She looked at me, I looked away and though quickly, without any sudden moves, I re-entered the river and started to calmly make my way across. She started to make some grunts and I thought for sure I was a dead man. But I never heard her enter the water. I got to the other side and tucked into a tight clump if pine trees to protect myself if she decided to charge. All of a sudden, from the willows came the calf, stumbling through the thicket. Cute little guy. I just stayed where I was, and she looked at me I guess to see what I was going to do. I just stayed silent and motionless. Her and her calf then started moving upstream.
As nervous as I was, it was just as exciting. But now I keep a close watch these days for anything. If it happened to be a bull moose, I don't think it would have ended the way it did.

Bears, they want nothing to do with humans. They get a sniff of you and they go the other way unless cubs or food is involved. Lions, totally different. They will stalk you, and if they believe they can take you, they will. And if they do, you better fight because your life depends on it. What they will do is get above you and pounce on you from behind. But attacks from bears and lions are rare here.

I will tell you the truth, I am more afraid of a badger than a bear. Those things are mean. I was following one in my truck down a dirt road, it was about 30 feet in front of me and it turned and snarled. I think it would have won.

I do think about carrying a gun sometimes, but I just can't bring myself to do that.

Besides, shooting a bear with a 9mm, not a good idea.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”