Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Mattjb
Minnow

Post by Mattjb »

Hello all,
I'm Matt from Bristol and have unexpectedly developed an interest in traditional fishing! I'll explain.
Back in January I saw someone round the corner from me was selling some rods on gumtree and I was after a light carp rod made of that material we are not allowed to mention for canal zander fishing.I purchased said rod and when I got back home I happened to have another look at the other rods he had for sale and one was a split cane fly rod, a chapman 500.I thought from the pictures it didn't look like a fly rod and after a quick google I found it was an Avon rod and for £15 I thought I would sell it on and make a small profit.
For a long time I've been a serious pike angler putting in a lot of time on Chew, rivers,lakes and pits and being a member of the pikers pit forum I started a thread on the collectors section asking for info about the 500.
A very kind chap on there offered to restore it free of charge,I was taken aback at first and declined as I was going to sell the rod on but after a bit of thought and not being able to stop looking at the rod I took him up on his offer.
While it was being restored I have been looking in on here with interest and have bought a rapidex to go with the rod and have been having a go at making some quill floats.
The rod is now back with me and is now a thing of beauty ,having been stripped and reringed along with a replacement decal to replace the damaged original. Also as I'm keeping the rod he asked me if I'd like intermediate whippings and I went for those and I'm glad I did as they look fantastic.
This generous man even sent me an intrepid elite he'd had since 1965 ,a landing net pole and some old floats.We keep in touch most days by whatsapp,text and email an have interesting conversations about angling and life in general.
I'm now itching to get out and use the tackle and try some new to me old techniques!
And this is how I've been sucked into the world of traditional angling!

Regards, Matt

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: New member

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Matt.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Welcome to the forum Matt.

You won't go far wrong with a 500 :Thumb:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Welcome to the Forum.
That generous chap has helped give you a good start , hope you enjoy using it all .
Last edited by Keston on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

What great story, Matt! Welcome to the TFF.

The Chapman 500 together with the Rapidex are a perfect match. I'm sure, you'll enjoy using them.

I hope we'll see some of your floats soon!

I went trotting today (no closed season here in Germany) with a Sealey Strikerite (wich is very similar to the 500), a Rapidex and a homemade quill and elder pith avon float.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Welcome Matt, you certainly struck out lucky when buying the rods.
The 500 and the Rapidex is probably the best all-round combination you could have started off with. You will of course now be addicted to finding more cane rods and your personal bests can all be started again, this time on cane and pin.

Wal.

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Welcome Matt , enjoy the forum
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

Hello Matt, welcome to the TFF

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Welcome Matt,

I hope some of your luck rubs off on me I've been after a 500 for some time now and keep missing out! I'm sure it's something you will cherish once you've taken it out for a test run.

Regards GB

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Welcome to the forum

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”