Hello from Deepest Norfolk

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Hello from Deepest Norfolk

Post by Silfield »

Hello folks,
I joined last night after a long time of reading the forum posts, fascinated by the wealth of knowledge that the members have-decided it was time to take the plunge!
I started fishing at the age of 8 when my parents upped sticks from the East End of London and moved to a sleepy village near Cromer in Norfolk. My first ever trip Dad took me fishing to a small stream near Blickling where we caught a couple of Brownies-years later I discovered that we had been poaching! I have subsequently visited the same spot and it is as idyllic as I had remembered all those years before.
Through the years many of my fishing mates have joined the 'fishing arms race' and i noticed that most had lost a lot of the passion for fishing, I think, because of this. Being a bit of a Luddite at heart and have a passion for all things old I decided that I would go against the flow and revert back to proper fishing. I have been fly fishing with an Allcocks Princess (I think) for a few years now and have just brought a Sealey Octofloat to restore over the winter that will hopefully be my go-to rod for the following seasons.
Being a mechanical engineer by trade I do enjoy the challenge of buying basket cases/ barn finds and restoring with a view to using them as it gives such a sense of achievement- a bit like catching your first wild trout on a home made fly.
Tight lines.

Ian.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Hello from Deepest Norfolk

Post by Bobthefloat »

Welcome aboard Ian :Hat: :cheers:

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Welcome Ian to the TFF.
Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Tom
Rudd

Post by Tom »

WELCOME!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Ian.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

We have at least one member in your neck of the woods and I fish on the Wensum a bit, where do you fish nowadays?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Welcome to the forum.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

A very warm welcome

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

Hello Ian, welcome to the TFF

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Tengisgol wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:19 pm We have at least one member in your neck of the woods and I fish on the Wensum a bit, where do you fish nowadays?
Hello,
Up until a couple of years ago I had been concentrating on trout on the fly but having caught a few chub and tench whilst after brownies, I got a real yearning to course fish again. I am always looking for a nice spot to fish but haven't been back in the saddle long enough to have found my Valhalla. I have fished a couple of day ticket stretches on the Wensum and love the river but so much of it seems to be off limits! Rockland's Mere is another water that I enjoy and has some lovely Crucians. One of my son's has started to take an interest in fishing with cane so to try to nurture his interest we have been mainly sticking to good old fashioned mixed fisheries where you don't quite know what is going to bite next.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”