hello from stan.b.

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Stan.B.

hello from stan.b.

Post by Stan.B. »

hi to all at t.f.f. from north of the border :D i`ve been fishing for 40odd yrs, and turned 50 in march. i`ve done mostly trout and grayling fishing for most of my life, i am now chasing salmon on the fly as well, mostly at the back end of the season. i have also done a fair bit of sea, and coarse fishg over the yrs, and used the now famous abu 500 series reels in the 70`s in matches as a lad. very recently i took a notion to buy an old cane float rod. i`ve ended up with a fully refurbished one, with no makers name on it, but from what i`ve read on here, and learned by studying the sales, i`m pretty sure its a "lucky strike"? i have combined it with a "wr speedia" narrow drum pin, and i`m discovering a whole new world of fishing by using such wonderfull equipment!! there`s something about the action of a cane rod that is totally lacking in more modern rods. combined with the simplicity of a centrepin reel, and the age of both, it has added a new dimention to my enjoyment of the sport. well thats enough about me, i am delighted to have found this wee forum, and you guys look like a friendly bunch, who will hopefully be tolerant of my amateur questions, and mabe i can contribute something here and there.

St.John
Tench

Re: hello from stan.b.

Post by St.John »

Hi stan, welcome home!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Welcome Stan - our 100th member! :hat:
Very glad you've discovered the cane and 'pin. That'll make a lovely combination.
Whereabouts in Scotland are you?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Stan.B.

Post by Stan.B. »

Snape wrote:Welcome Stan - our 100th member! :hat:
Very glad you've discovered the cane and 'pin. That'll make a lovely combination.
Whereabouts in Scotland are you?
thanks guys for the welcome. i live in larkhall, about ten miles out of glasgow, and i have the rivers clyde, and avon running down both sides of the town. mostly trout and grayling in both. the clyde is also a recovering salmon water, and is supposed to hold a few other coarse species further downstream which i`m planning on searching out during the grayling season.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

There are a few grayling fans on here Stan. We had a TFF group outing to the Itchen recently and caught a few. :D
I used to live in Dunoon.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Stan.B.

Post by Stan.B. »

i have a lot of respect for the grayling, as it was abused for many yrs as the poorer cousin of the trout and salmon in scotland, and has survived against all the odds, all on it`s own. i am an allrounder though, and i`m determined to come across some roach and dace in our river. trotting on a river is my fav method just now, and a great way to find out whats in it. especially with pin and cane.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Stan.

I was introduced to the lady of the stream in November of this year (a few hours after being introduced to Izaak, by Harry). I do hope that doesn't sound to complicated Stan but I have five witnesses here who can vouch for that.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Welcome Stan. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Welcome aboard Stan.b. :hat:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Stan, so glad you could join our little hideout. :thumb:

The grayling, tugs a few of my heart strings thats for sure, a more graceful, spirited and misunderstood fish you will not find, but we love them very dearly around here, in fact, we're off grayling fishing again in a couple of weeks.

I know your a long way up but if you ever do visit the south, be sure to let us know and we'll arange a get together.

Welcome friend. :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”