The railway Guides

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
Walkerburt
Roach

Re: The railway Guides

Post by Walkerburt »

Beresford wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:15 pm
Northern Eel wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:28 pm I've heard about these before, I'm sure I saw a TV program about this quite recently, an angler travelling around the UK by train with a bag & a rod fishing various places mentioned in these guides, I can't remember the name of it but it was on discovery shed I think.
I'll trawl You Tube for that – it sounds fabulous. I wrote a piece for Waterlog about rivers dancing with railway lines but never submitted it in the end.

The railways had a good line in commissioning some fabulous illustrators, painters and designers. Some of their output is very much of its time and some slightly ahead.
You could Google Norman Wilkinson if you’re going online, not only was he one of the innovators in WW11 marine camouflage, he was also widely held as the best railway illustrator, and produced some wonderful angling scenes in dry point pencil.

Kind Regards
Phil
The Watcher by the Bridge

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Walkerburt wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:18 pm
Northern Eel wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:28 pm I've heard about these before, I'm sure I saw a TV program about this quite recently, an angler travelling around the UK by train with a bag & a rod fishing various places mentioned in these guides, I can't remember the name of it but it was on discovery shed I think.
I'll trawl You Tube for that – it sounds fabulous. I wrote a piece for Waterlog about rivers dancing with railway lines but never submitted it in the end.

The railways had a good line in commissioning some fabulous illustrators, painters and designers. Some of their output is very much of its time and some slightly ahead.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

This is the poster which advertises the North Eastern Railway "Twixt Humber and Tweed" fishing series of booklets of which Bazley wrote the coarse angling issue.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Phil Arnott wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 am This is the poster which advertises the North Eastern Railway "Twixt Humber and Tweed" fishing series of booklets of which Bazley wrote the coarse angling issue.

Lovely, many thanks Phil

Phil

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Walkerburt wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:18 pm

You could Google Norman Wilkinson if you’re going online, not only was he one of the innovators in WW11 marine camouflage, he was also widely held as the best railway illustrator, and produced some wonderful angling scenes in dry point pencil.

Kind Regards
Phil
I know his work well. He was certainly one of the more talented artists employed by the railways, as were Cuneo and Purvis. However, the 'railway' painting that really captures my imagination, was also probably one of the first – Rain, steam and speed!
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

ImageImageImage

Managed to pick up another Land Agent’s guide, this one from J.Watson Lyall of Pall Mall, dated 1915

Kind Regards,
Phil.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

An interesting topic.Lovely illustrations.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I have an original copy of “Haunts & Hints for Anglers”, the edition covering The Great Western Railway.

It is interesting to note that it was written and compiled by (Sir) Felix Pole, who was none other than the G.W.R’s General Manager at that time so besides being a keen fisherman himself, probably had a strong interest in promoting sales of fares!

Because of failing sight (he was blind by 1945) he gave up the position in 1929 to become chairman of A.E.I.

It was incredible how much fishing water could be reached by railways then..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sorry, but I’m on a bit of a roll here - hope I’m not boring you to death - one or two more.....

Kind Regards
Phil.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Nice publications

I know that at one time, in the late 1800's, the Nottingham - Newark train actually would stop to allow anglers to get off at Staythorpe. The pace of life was a lot slower then - which begs the questions whilst medically we may have been given a better non-illness body quality of life have we reaped this with a more hectic mental anguished induced non-quality of life?

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”