Shakespeare catalogues?

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Shakespeare catalogues?

Post by Kevanf1 »

Does anybody happen to have any Shakespeare catalogues from about 1978 to 1980? If so would it be possible to scan the pages that show the Alpha International Polyestel range of rods and either post a link to them or possibly send them to me as an attachment, please :Hat: I'd just like to know the full range and specifications. It's no secret that I do very much like this old range of glass rods :Hahaha:

Cheers.

Kevan
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: Shakespeare catalogues?

Post by Gary Bills »

I'd certainly like an Alpha Carp. I know Snape has one of those rods, for holiday use, and a few other members have one too...
The 10ft version is a nice example, I think, of a light, responsive, 1970s Mk-IV-type rod...

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

FarliesBirthday wrote:I'd certainly like an Alpha Carp. I know Snape has one of those rods, for holiday use, and a few other members have one too...
The 10ft version is a nice example, I think, of a light, responsive, 1970s Mk-IV-type rod...
I remember them coming out in the 70's :Ok: So much so that I bought the leger rod version. This has now been with me for around 35+ years (I can't remember exactly how old I was when I purchased it brand new from 'Anthony Smith Fishing Tackle' in Norton Lane, Great Wyrley). It is still a delightful rod to use, forgiving but with a pleasing bit of backbone if you need it.

I only remember seeing the float rods in the range complementing the leger rod and now it seems they must have added a fair few different models later in the life of the series. I now have two leger rods together with two 12 float rods (one with the extra, softer tip section). I am pretty sure there was a 13 foot and a 14 foot float rod too. I do not know whether there were 13 and 14 foot models with that extra, softer tip though. I am now aware that the carp rod came in a 10 foot and an 11 foot version but I do not know if there was a difference in test curve? Hence my plea for anybody with a catalogue for scans? I shall expand my search :Cool:
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Macdescruple

Post by Macdescruple »

I recently contacted the company to see if they had any historic records they could share regarding the Polyestel rod range. They haven't responded sadly. I guess it was a long shot. I'll keep my eyes open.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Macdescruple wrote:I recently contacted the company to see if they had any historic records they could share regarding the Polyestel rod range. They haven't responded sadly. I guess it was a long shot. I'll keep my eyes open.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that Shakespeare do eventually respond :Hat:

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Keep us updated Kevan I'm also interested in the polyestel range of Shakespeare rods
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Thank you DaveM for this :) Now I have learned more. I was not aware that there were two variations of the leger rod offered. I must check my two in order to find out if I have both the same or the two different versions. No mention of my twin tip model either. I wonder if that was a later variant that only appeared for one or two years. Oh, if only Shakespeare would give out some information on this. I am now really quite fascinated.

I think I might contact Shakespeare myself and ask them about this range. Maybe with another persona asking they will release some information?

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

You're welcome Kevan, the above is taken from the 1979 catalogue, but I do have the 1980 one too
and the range is exactly the same, I have a feeling they stopped making them in 80/81?
I hope this helps.

Dave

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

DaveM wrote:You're welcome Kevan, the above is taken from the 1979 catalogue, but I do have the 1980 one too
and the range is exactly the same, I have a feeling they stopped making them in 80/81?
I hope this helps.

Dave
Quite possibly 1980/81, Dave. I wonder if the twin tip match was an early version then? Or maybe a special only available from the factory or to Shakespeare team members? I cannot recall ever seeing it in the catalogues and I always picked them up every year, well, they were free :) They were my wish books...

I have now sent a request form into Shakespeare. Only time will tell if they ignore me too. If they do I'll look up a phone number and speak to somebody. I am rather determined to find out as much as I can about these rods :Ok:

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”