Old Edward Barder catalogue found

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Old Edward Barder catalogue found

Post by Paul F »

At the weekend I was in my mums loft and came across my old fishing diary's which date back to early 90's,which was a lot of fun flicking through them.

Amongst them I also found an Edward Barder catalogue, it is in an envelope in my own handwriting, so I must have sent off a self addressed envelope for it, this is dated 1994, it was also supplied with the photo's below :Cool:

Here are some images of the catalogue, front page, an introduction, some coarse fishing rods

11'3" Craftversa signed by Bernard Venables £350 :cry:
11'9" Barbus Maximus £299 :Cry:
12'6" The "Fred J Taylor" roach rod £299 :drool:
how about a 11' Wallis Wizard £290 :Brickwall:
Why did I not buy one back in 1994? cos I was just dreaming when I ordered the catalogue, I never had £1 to spend on a rod back then
Still it has been good coming across this

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Old Edward Barder catalogue found

Post by Marc »

I was fourteen when this was published so no chance of me buying a one back then. Even less now. Thanks for sharing.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

If only.......
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

That is a very early (possibly the first) catalogue. Very interesting.
The main ones you see are from the mid 90s with blue (coarse) and green (fly) coloured covers. He then reverted to loose sheets.
I ordered my Merlin back in 1996 for the outrageous price of £450 and picked up a Barbus Maximus in 1995 second hand for £500.
£299 is ludicrously cheap!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

hindsight is a wonderful thing :Confused:
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Nice one Pafpuff - any mention of Colin Whitehouse floats? - I see half a dozen quills perched on top of the wicker creel in the 2nd photo :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Ive just dug out mine.Sent a pound coin taped into a piece of card in and envelope as requested to receive my copy.I thought that it might have been earlier but the prices are the same.No floats listed.Aluminium rod tubes,centrepin reels,landing nets(with Len Arbery),Kelly kettles and wicker creels and baskets are offered though.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

TemeLAD wrote:Nice one Pafpuff - any mention of Colin Whitehouse floats? - I see half a dozen quills perched on top of the wicker creel in the 2nd photo :Hat:
No floats mentioned, although you could have had a Dave Swallow pin for £89.50

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have both this early stapled catalogue and the later blue version. My early version states that a Bishop would cost £290, I so wished I had ordered a couple at least. Barder tackle would have been an good investment. I think Edward just picked up a selection of photographs to send out with each catalogue request. I was sent half a dozen photos that are different to those you show.

He also listed a 10' 7 weight Sea Trout rod called the Scarble difner. Or something very close to that but either way a conjured up name. I wonder how many of those he made, perhaps only one…

I still have all these along with a Carter catalogue and a Lindsey catalogue. I have seen the blue Barder one for £25 on ebay…
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Snape wrote:£299 is ludicrously cheap!
In '93 I paid exactly 700 DM - that is £290 - for my Hardy Fibalite FJT Trotter and 6' Spinning Rods
If I only knew of Mr. Barder then ... :Hair out:

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”