Edgar Sealey Leaflet 1958

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Edgar Sealey Leaflet 1958

Post by AshbyCut »

As promised in another thread, here's the scan of the leaflet which arrived today ... the first documentation I've seen from the 50's about Edgar Sealey tackle.

I'd love to see a copy of the "colour folder of Octopus fish hooks and fishing rods available on request" which is mentioned !!!

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Edgar Sealey Leaflet 1958

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A nice leaflet Mal and very rare I'll bet.
The section on the bottom titled "Late news flash" 243 yds with a 1/4oz weight. Do you think it should be with a 4oz weight?
I just cant imagine 1/4 oz dragging even the finest line that far can you? unless it was fired from a gun.

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wallys-Cast wrote:A nice leaflet Mal and very rare I'll bet.
The section on the bottom titled "Late news flash" 243 yds with a 1/4oz weight. Do you think it should be with a 4oz weight?
I just cant imagine 1/4 oz dragging even the finest line that far can you? unless it was fired from a gun.

Wal.
I'll be trying to search for verification of those figures Wal, Sir ... though my immediate suspicion is that a passing bird mistook the weight for an insect and flew that far before realising it wasn't and dropped it !!! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Never thought of that Mal, puts a new twist on fly casting. :Chuckle:

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Further to Wallys-Cast's comments, the following would suggest that the Sealey claims were a little 'economical with the truth,' or more likely they failed to proof read a mis-print.

"Advanced Carp Fishing" reported on 2012 the following in relation to Terry Edwards, a tournament caster :-

'Being a tournament caster for five years saw him take three UK records; casting 267 yards with a 3oz lead, 246 yards with a 2½oz and 212 yards with a 2oz. On top of this he also holds the two furthest casts with a fixed-spool ever recorded in the UK, launching a 4oz lead a whopping 285 yards and a 3oz 287 yards.'

The full article is in this link :-

http://www.advancedcarpfishing.com/acf- ... ver-before

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Isn't technology wonderful ???

My searches revealed that the 'Kwazuzlu Natal Coast Anglers Union' have as an annual prize "The Don Currie Cup." I've dropped them an email to see if they have any information on his casting records. I'll keep you informed.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Very nice interesting leaflet, and I like the fact they are proud to say that their 'Supreme' is the best quality Match rod available.

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”