Edgar Sealey Advert from 1953

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Edgar Sealey Advert from 1953

Post by AshbyCut »

Shamelessly lifted from the internet is this advert from the National Federation of Anglers 38th Championship Programme 1953 ... for those of you who may need a date for your rod (fascinating to see that 'the Comet' had a glass tip ... at that age !!!) :-

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Re: Edgar Sealey Advert from 1953

Post by Carp Artist »

Thanks for posting Mal, a nice insight into the past. :Hat:
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I have a card through the door telling me my new Octofloat is at the Post Office ready for collection... :Thumb:
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Didnt realise they started so long ago, says 1895!.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It might just be that they weren't rod makers back then. There's quite a few Sealeys making floats for Allcocks and some suggestion that they were freelance before that.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Didn't I read somewhere that Sealeys started out as hook makers ... carrying on the tradition of Redditch as the needle making capital of the world ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It's suggested that everyone started with needlemaking....sewing rather than angling and slowly diversified.

This shows Sealeys working for Allcocks in 1866 and 1878. The original article doesn't seem to exist on the net now and I have no idea how accurate such detailed information is:

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... ompany.asp

But I feel sure I've read somewhere else that Sealeys sold floats to several firms possibly suggesting that they were an independent family operation initially. The article above suggests that float-making was seasonal work so they might have had other skills as well to provide full-time employment.

It seems that at this time most of Redditch were Wesleyan Methodists with a work ethic that would shame any Victorian industrial employee.......JW Young, for instance arrived at Allcocks following his father....within three months he was in charge of the reel making department, but he also worked into the evenings as a tin box solderer. In his own time ( what own time? ) he developed his Aerial reel......
The rod makers at this time regularly worked until 11pm with Samuel Allcock popping around from Clive House to see they were OK before retiring to his bed. No shirker himself he had accompanied his father on sales trip around the UK from when he was a child and was on the road for months at a time in those early days.

Great article by...I think, by Stefan Duma.

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”