Auger catalogues

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Auger catalogues

Post by Bob Brookes »

I have a 1966 Auger catalogue which is in quarto format and is of quite poor production quality. I purchased it mainly for the information on floats as Auger retailed the range of Nevamis floats. It is good to recognise the differences between these, Harcorks & Allcocks, how sad!
There is a big section on Sea fishing tackle including an extensive range of the Alvey Side-caster reels. It looks like they may have been a major supplier of these Australian reels.
There is a 10 page section on components for rod making, a major business in the 60’s.
The rods for sale are in the main glass fibre or at least having a glass top joint. One exception is a 10ft Auger Carp Special 2-piece built cane rod. It is described as a Carp or Grilse rod & I wonder if anyone on here has got one?
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Auger catalogues

Post by Snape »

I have a 10ft Auger carp special in excellent condition.
Bought it very cheaply off ebay as it was described as Auger bass special because the previous owner could read the curly writing!
It is quite a nice rod but has 1 fewer ring than a MKIV.
To be honest I have never really fished with it or at least never caught anything on it.
Maybe I'll give it a proper go.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

GloucesterOldSpot

Re: Auger catalogues

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Weyfarer has a Carp Special and I know he's had lots of carp on it. I once had an Auger Gladiator - ten foot two piece fibreglass rod which was ringed like a carp rod, with large diameter chrome (unlined) bridge rings, yet it was softer than a soft thing in hot weather - much less powerful than a MkIV avon and not even much good as a leger rod.

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”