Farlow's Catalogues

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Farlow's Catalogues

Post by Harry H »

Here are my Farlow catalogues 74th,91st,92nd & 93rd (minus its cover).It depends on who you talk to as to how old they are. I have seen a 1908 edition dated on the spine, which I assume sometime after this they listed them as editions rather than by year so that they didn't have to publish them yearly. Any thoughts?

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Farlow's Catalogues

Post by Mark »

Farlow's catalogues are new to me Harry, thank you for putting up the pictures. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A couple of Farlows Catalogues.
The one on the left is a 91st edition No2. Inside are references to extracts from recent letters sent in by customers and are dated 1930. The company was originally formed in 1840 when Charles Farlow opened his first shop in Crooked Lane, so assuming one catalogue a year this catalogue would date to 1931.

The one on the right is from 1960 and still has the price list inside.

They are good quality catalogues on a par with Hardy's and contain some excellent information as well as a tackle guide.

Wal.

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

a short fold out catalogue of the early 70s, no coarse fishing in this one
Mr Woodcock was still Shop Manager in '76 when I bought some fishing stuff in Pall Mall

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Wallys-Cast wrote:A couple of Farlows Catalogues.
The one on the left is a 91st edition No2. Inside are references to extracts from recent letters sent in by customers and are dated 1930. The company was originally formed in 1840 when Charles Farlow opened his first shop in Crooked Lane, so assuming one catalogue a year this catalogue would date to 1931.

They are good quality catalogues on a par with Hardy's and contain some excellent information as well as a tackle guide.

Wal.
Hi Wally
Since my last post on the subject seen a 94th edition and it was dated 1939/40 which also fits with Graham Turners book which states 1846 as the 1st catalogue so this puts yours at 1936/37. :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Harry H wrote:
Wallys-Cast wrote:A couple of Farlows Catalogues.

Wal.
Hi Wally
Since my last post on the subject seen a 94th edition and it was dated 1939/40 which also fits with Graham Turners book which states 1846 as the 1st catalogue so this puts yours at 1936/37. :Thumb:
Thanks Harry, I'll pencil that in the back of the book for future reference.
Wal.

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”