Ambidex refurbs

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Ambidex refurbs

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Many thanks for all your kind comments regarding the Ambidex restorations and especially to my good friend Mick who very generously gave them to me in the first place. I have never met Mick, we have begun a friendship through this amazing forum and exchanged numerous pm's during the project and no doubt will continue to do so. This has got to be the best thing about the forum, the way in which it connects people of a like minded disposition who would otherwise never have the opportunity to engage with each other. So also big thanks to the originators and administrators of the TFF for providing a conduit through which we can forge these friendships and associations.
Jeremy.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Jeremy, I do have a set of sideplate screws, but they are only a little better than those you have. I did find a reasonable blanking end and screw.

These old reels were only ever kept in case they help someone out one day ....the bits are yours for free...just PM me an address and I'll get them in the post tomorrow am. Our local PO is closing until Saturday so I must get them away tomorrow for a delivery before next week.

S'funny innit? How can I have 6 Ambidex body shells and only four tatty screws amongst them....? And why is the box you want always the one behind the other 15.....???

Phew!

The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

Post by The Mudway Dangler »

I was just about to start a thread about how to refurbish an Ambidex as I have no idea how to remove the side plates without causing damage. So please Nobby, give us a clue.....
To catch is good, to return your catch is better.....

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

They look great Jeremy. If you’re restoring to see it used for another 50-60 years, who cares what colour you paint it!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Blimey ....cracking job Jeremy.

Please don't sit next to me on the river bank as mine are definitely .....how shall I put it......." the scruffy in appearance versions"

Enjoy your outings with them .

Best regards
Nige.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

They look lovely Jeremy, you have made a great job of the refurb, I am sure theynwill be a pleasure to use.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Great work Jeremy. Would you like a job? I have an Ambidex that I have messed around with but still can't get the bail arm to engage properly. My other one was service by Gary Mills so works perfectly. What about dates for a grayling day on the Derwent at Willersey Castle in exchange? I think there would be too much water and salt wash this weekend.
Mark Davies

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Penninelad wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:07 pm Great work Jeremy. Would you like a job? I have an Ambidex that I have messed around with but still can't get the bail arm to engage properly. My other one was service by Gary Mills so works perfectly. What about dates for a grayling day on the Derwent at Willersey Castle in exchange? I think there would be too much water and salt wash this weekend.
I'm no expert Marc but very happy to have a look at your reel for you. A grayling day would be lovely, thank you for your kind invitation! :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

This could be a career changing opportunity for you Jeremy! :whistle:

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”