Does anyone know the threading of the Youngs JW Heritage pin line cage? Moving line cage of JW Heritage to Match Aerial

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Does anyone know the threading of the Youngs JW Heritage pin line cage? Moving line cage of JW Heritage to Match Aerial

Post by OldTackle »

Hello chaps,

I'd like to mount the line cage of the Youngs John Wilson Heritage pin to my Allcocks Match Aerial. Does anyone know the threading of the screws as I'd like to use the same on both reels.

:Hat:
Last edited by OldTackle on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Paul D

Re: Does anyone know the threading of the Youngs JW Heritage pin line cage?

Post by Paul D »

Must surely be a metric thread Chris, measure the diameter of the screw and count the number of threads per inch (peak to peak) , I have a set of tables giving the sizes.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Paul D wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:52 pm Must surely be a metric thread Chris, measure the diameter of the screw and count the number of threads per inch (peak to peak) , I have a set of tables giving the sizes.
2.5 by 0.45 then so M2.5. You knew I have eagle eyes, hm? Needed a magnifying glass for that. How did you know it is metric Paul? Because it is circling to the right? Should have thought about that :Confused:

Alright. Need to get me a M2.5 thread cutter now...2.05 center hole...nah...2 will do...it's just aluminum...

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Would look nice, wouldn't it?

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I believe those reels where/are made in the far east, no way would they use a imperial thread. A 2mm drill will be fine just make sure you drill absolutely square, a drill press is ideal, if you have trouble finding a tap I may have one........ somewhere!!

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Paul D wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:51 pm I believe those reels where/are made in the far east, no way would they use a imperial thread. A 2mm drill will be fine just make sure you drill absolutely square, a drill press is ideal, if you have trouble finding a tap I may have one........ somewhere!!
I can convert my watch makers lathe and put it onto my drill press so that should be very fine. No, don't have a tap but borrowing one of you must be more postage than buy one in the hardware store.
And you are absolutely right. These todays JW Youngs reels MUST be Chinese made. There is so much to bother with. Especially the bearings. Must replace those at some point otherwise this nice looking John Wilson Heritage pin will have a sad life my book shelf. They are pressed in somehow so I would need a pulling tool of the right diameter to get them out. Also a good sign of cheap production. Such a pity!
At least the line cage is a nice one and does fit my Match Aerial nice as you can see. It still has the original 'three parted' plastic knob to engage the ratchet. When this one fails I will make a similar to the JW Heritage reel which I am a lot more comfortable with.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Happy to have helped Chris :Hat:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Paul D wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:36 am Happy to have helped Chris :Hat:
Smallest they had was M3 :hairpull:
So if not too many circumstances - could you have a look, Paul?

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Paul D wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:36 am Happy to have helped Chris :Hat:
Eureka Paul! Not necessary for an exhaustive search for you anymore. I found in another store some M2 screws that just fit the line cage before they'd go through. So I did get me a M2 tap. Right back from my man cave where I tried it out and it works perfectly. Think I will take some pictures when the reel is under construction and post them :Hat:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

A few hours later the job is done and to say I am more than pleased would still be an understatement. I have to say the most difficult job was to cut the screws down until they were even with the frame to allow free movement for the spool.
Do I have to say how much nicer this true pin Match Aerial feels compared to the ball bearing of the JW Heritage? Not only that you need less force to make it run or to stop it but also when it spins it is 100% silent whereas the JW Heritage makes its 'singing and rubbing' noise of those cheap bearings.

Image Image Image Image Image

As always thanks for watching.
:Hat:
Last edited by OldTackle on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”