Allcocks C815 ? ...old warrior .

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Keston
Tench

Allcocks C815 ? ...old warrior .

Post by Keston »

So there was an "old warrior " Aerial on a well known auction site . It had a reasonable start price and although looked tired it was listed as all working correctly .
I'm not that up on Aerials but thought it looked like it may be a C815 (despite being listed otherwise)
I placed a bid and won it at the starting price ,did that mean no one else thought it worthy ? Maybe a error on my part .
When it arrived I was quite happy ,as advertised it spun well with only a barely perceptible deviation . It felt tight and with all its battle scars It has a lot of charm and character .
I knew from the images the tip of the ratchet lever was broken but unfortunately when it arrived the drag adjuster is also non functional ... it maybe just the spring , I don't know . The only other tiny niggle is a bit of a dent where something has banged the pawl into the backplate . But for the money I think it acceptable to me .
I'm thinking of stripping it as it's had a bad makeover at some point . I was also thinking of getting the drag and ratchet lever fixed but I'm not sure . Is it worth spending the money on ? Could I live without the drag ?
John

Paul D

Re: Allcocks C815 ? ...old warrior .

Post by Paul D »

A fine old warrior John, worth spending a few quid getting it sorted, well done sir :Hat:

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Send it to Gary Mills he has new ratchet levers and I'm sure any other parts it needs. I had mine serviced by him and it made quite an improvement.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks chaps .
Harry someone else suggested Gary Mills to me earlier . I did speak to him on the phone and he gave me a fair and reasonable quote, but it would also be a very sizeable percentage of the original purchase price . He does seem a busy man though with quite a turnaround time .
John

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

when it comes to refurbishing or repairing... it's a balancing act... I've bought £30 rods and spent over £100 having them refurbished... maybe a waste of money to some folks, but to me, the end results are well worth it..... if you want something that works well, spending a bit of money on it will pay dividends later
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have couple of these and they are a real workhorse! I use mine for ledgering rather than float fishing/trotting. Loaded with 10lb line they cope with carp/barbel quite easily.

Depending upon the estimate to renovate they seem to go for around the £80 - £100 mark and quite a bit more when in excellent condition.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks chaps
I guess just taking mk eye into account maybe it wasn't such a great purchase . If I spend on having the repairs done the reel is about its price anyway and maybe I could have got one without site many dings and dents or character depending on how you look at it .
Maybe for now I will just enjoy it as it is ... warts an all .
John

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Do what you can yourself and enjoy it for the bargain price you bought it at. If it becomes a good friend then treat it as such and spend some money on it, as it will then be a keeper.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Hi Reedling
I smiled reading your post . A perfect reply :Hat:
John

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Reference Allcocks Aerial Old Warrior, I had such a reel that was in the same condition. It was sent to Steve Boncey to be given a makeover, I got it back today as new. I am well pleased great work and service.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”