Allcock Aerial

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Allcock Aerial

Post by Nobby »

I can't quite see what you mean about the handles being in the wrong place, Roachy. But Graham's illustration shows a reel with the 'German silver annular ring to the spool, .... which I think was actually nickel-silver...the same as the spokes probably. This would appear to have been an option, but there's no original mention of it anywhere that I have heard of.
Otherwise I would say yours is the same, a 7950 with optional lever check fitted...you can even make out one of the rear set of spokes, correctly offset by 30 degrees to the front ones. The other reel at the time, the 7851 had a solid aluminium backplate to the spool and was, strangely .... considering the less work required to make and build it, .... more expensive!

I wonder who came up with the 'dead black' description? I've certainly never read it in any of the Alcock's Angler's Guides. I think this is the 'standard' finish of the time and was some sort of lead plating that wore off quite quickly...and was probably pretty toxic too!

7950, btw, if the catalogue entry number in the Guides, dating back to a time when very little tackle, particularly rods, had a 'name'.

Roachy
Bleak

Post by Roachy »

The T10 in Bob Singletons book has the handles overlapping the inside rim of the front plate,whareas the one in Grahams book shows the handles equidistant between the rims of the front reel plate.
This is doing my head in Nobby......lol
Fishing is complete and utter madness.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Looks like a T10 to me, what else could it be with those handles and a lever check?

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Fredline wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:38 am The first owner was J W Young and he smoked Lucky Strikes.
:Hahaha: excellent!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It's a 7950 T10 according to Bob Singletons book. According to the book it is the only type to have a rim mounted check lever.

The different handle position is dependant on the diameter as the T10 is a deep arbour reel allowing it to hold a lot of line, it obviously has a slower retrieve rate than say a type 3. The book also states that the black versions were often referred to as 7950S by Allcocks.

As for the silver rims, I have never seen one with a separate rim, plenty with polished aluminium rims which do look like silver. I cant understand why they would add weight to the outer edge of a drum, surely it would only increase the flywheel effect and create a slower start up.

I have seen nickel silver rims on some ebonite reels but not on an aluminium Aerial. I wonder if it has been a mix up.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You know expanding Roachy's later additional image to his first post you get a better look at the inside edge of that spool rim and I can't see an additional rim on there either.....maybe it was indeed a mistake? But some reels did have them...there's some images on my blog of them:

https://nobbystackle.wordpress.com/2014 ... ottingham/

But they're all Coxons just as Wal said...and the more I look that T10 on my blog now doesn't look like a nickel-silver rim at all!

At least the blog has some reels where the handles breach the inner rim for the spokes...is that what you meant, Roachy?

Roachy
Bleak

Post by Roachy »

Nobby......
Does this mean that my reel is worth 1 million pounds......lol
I may put it on eBay at a high starting price to see what happens.
Fishing is complete and utter madness.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Hi,
Just to clarify a point that Nobby made regarding the offering of an "optional check" from Allcocks. This refers not to the option of having a check fitted or not but to the option of turning the check on or off and is the opposite of the term fixed check as in most fly reels.
i.e. A fixed check operates continuously. An optional check can be switched off and on.
Dok

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”