Changing a Trudex from RHW to LHW

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Buller
Rudd

Changing a Trudex from RHW to LHW

Post by Buller »

Hi folks
Can anyone advise on how one changes a Trudex from being a right hand wind to a left hand wind.
Many thanks in advance
Buller

Paul D

Re: Changing a Trudex from RHW to LHW

Post by Paul D »

Nobby posted a tutorial a while back, it just involves reprofilling the pawl, works a treat. :Hat:

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I think you can reverse the pawl but the whole lot needs unscrewing and with old soft muddied in screws that could be tricky unless you have spares ready!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

No unscrewing required Sir, simply lever the spring off the pawl and pop it out, nobbys mod involves reprofiling the pawl to give a soft "click" on the retrieve but a hard one when a fish takes line, well worth doing but you must follow the profile nobby shows, anyone kind enough to post the link? I'm a computer numpty :Hahaha:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Very nearly John, somewhere he posted a diagram of the profile. :Hat:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

viewtopic.php?f=279&t=20035&p=272563&hi ... ng#p272563

I'm glad this was brought up again as I've recently used the basic principle to convert another reel to LHW in the same way, but I made a discovery that is quite important.

If you don't 'wash out' the new profile towards the centre of the back edge of the pawl it tends not to centralise itself and doesn't return as you switch the check off again.

This wasn't so much of an issue with JW Youngs reels, but was more important with this last reel, a Grice and Young model.

With the Youngs reels the conversion does reduce spring pressure and it is often necessary to increase it again with a spring pre-loader. You can see I made one in metal but you can whittle one from a bit of float making BBQ skewer in seconds! Just carve flats on a 25mm piece, opposite one another and cut a notch in one flat to locate against the screw that holds the spring tight against the pawl...the one with the big flat head thus:

The shape I drew for the JW Youngs pawl is about right, but they DO vary! Other reels might need working on a bit more so go slowly you can always grind a bit more off, but you can't put it back.

I do tend to remove the screws and spring so as not to scratch the paintwork....like anything else the first time is hard...the tenth is easy.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”