Ambidex no 6 fixed spool reel part required

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Foss Fisher
Minnow

Ambidex no 6 fixed spool reel part required

Post by Foss Fisher »

Chaps and ladies . Do any of you have spares for the above reel , it's the rather art deco looking blue swan necked model .In particular I am after the nut that fastens the bail arm on to bail arm return mechanism . My nut currently resides at the bottom of the Yorkshire Ouse ! Any help or suggestions where I can find a replacement would be gratefully received . I don't really want to lash out on another reel just for one nut .

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Re: Ambidex no 6 fixed spool reel part required

Post by TemeLAD »

Try Garry Mills of Mill Tackle - if anyone can help Garry can :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Could you describe the missing nut in another way? To my mind the bail arm doesn't have a return mechanism...it is returned by a spring hidden under a large dome-headed screw with the other end of the bail arm held in place by another, smaller, screw. I do have some bits here, but I'm unsure just what you need.

Foss Fisher
Minnow

Post by Foss Fisher »

Thanks for your replies chaps . Perhaps nut is the wrong word its a little slotted thingy that screws on to the threaded end of the bail arm itself its on the end of the bail arm where the line would go . Hope this is clearer . Thanks .

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

You could try Gary Mills, but I would guess that you might have to buy a cheap reel to cannibalise. The Sealy Flocast has the same nut, but the "slope back" Mark Six has a different way of holding on the line roller. An easier solution would be to use a 6BA (I think) nut and washer. If I get time this week I'll check the thread size, but it might get to be after Christmas as I'm away over the holiday period.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, yes... this is the ....I dunno?....slotted screw that needs a screwdriver with two prongs to set the tension of the line roller. In truth a turning roller creates line twist so you just do it up enough to stop it turning. pretty unique bit of kit, I think you will indeed need a donor reel. I have a few bits here, but not that......Ambidex 6 onwards should have it, as does the Match and the Delmatic, but most Ambidex 7 reels don't.

Foss Fisher
Minnow

Post by Foss Fisher »

Excellent chaps , your comments / suggestions are much appreciated

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”