Felton mk2 gearing.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Delaminated
Bleak

Felton mk2 gearing.

Post by Delaminated »

I obtained a very tidy Felton mk 2 back in the summer on a well known auction site that was described as 'a little stiff to turn' on the listing.
When the reel arrived it was indeed very stiff and on internal investigation, the main drive wheel(Tufnol?) appeared to have been smartly hit by a blunt instrument crushing about eight of the teeth.
Because the rest of the reel was so good I decided to keep it and see if I could repair it.
I had a very scruffy Flocast mk4 in my spares box and removed the main (nylon?) gear on its axle.
There were a few parts on the axle that were superfluous to the function of the Felton, so we're discarded, so I was pleasantly surprised on re-assembly to find the reel quite smooth to turn.
I picked up a doner Felton a fortnight ago, but found the Tufnol gear on replacement of the nylon one markedly stiffer and more noisey in use.
Ought I keep to the 'purer' more original Tufnol gear or enjoy the smoothness of the nylon bodge?

Tom.

SeanM
Tench

Re: Felton mk2 gearing.

Post by SeanM »

I'd keep the nice smooth one (Delrin?). I'd hazard a guess that there will be quite a few Feltons out there with them in.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Felton mk2 gearing.

Post by Nobby »

That's interesting because the only time I've tried to fit a later plastic gear into an Ambidex it wouldn't fit, the threads were not of the same pitch. I'd say you've improved your Felton no end............

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”