Not Cataloged?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
JockScott
Minnow

Re: Not Cataloged?

Post by JockScott »

A final point on this reel from me..... The Holes !!! Were purely for simplicity and accuracy of manufacture and ease of access for future alignment.....
However... it did not last long, a year or possibly two. So why did it not continue in the t2, t3 and so on ? There is no real proof for the answer because the reel was never catalogued but consider using the reel, consider playing a heavy strong fish and using a finger on rim, would not those holes however smooooth be an annoyance or even painful. ...Logical ???? eh. What do you think ??

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Do you mean the holes in the spool face Jock? The 'ports' as they are sometimes known? I thought all Aerials except the Popular had them? There was a bit of an obsession with lightening things in those days...indeed it continued into the Sixties too....you should see some of the racing motorcycles of the day...they look likes moths have got to them.

Don't these holes also assist in drying wet line and thus perhaps reduce spool corrosion?

JockScott
Minnow

Post by JockScott »

I referred to the holes on the rim edge of the drum front flange.... and I am reliably informed that Allcocks discontinued the holes very soon afterwards because some anglers found it an annoyance when playing a fish using fingers as a drag or line control....logical I suppose..

Infact today I found one for sale on AA auction lot number 292. Tempting.... A 4" and a 4.5"

I did not know that danny the drill was let loose on motorbikes too.... And the drilling continues to today,s pins but looking at some of them I would be afraid to use more than 2lb line

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”