Best Ambidex?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Best Ambidex?

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:06 pm I actually prefer the half bail over all of them, once cleaned and oiled they run lovely, are great to use and definitely look the best on a vintage rod.
Not carp reels of course but for lighter line fishing and perch spinning they are great little reels.

I have recently bought an early Duco with the wrinkle black paint in almost mint condition, it even has the hex nuts instead of screws for the handle.
It has 89 scratched inside the side plate so possibly the 89th reel made. A couple of pics below..

Wal.

ImageImageImage
Very nice Wal, is the half bail reel easy to use?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

NiceRoach wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:17 pm Here's my later than Wal's, Duco, with all smooth paint and badged both sides.

:Hat:
Rather nice too, same body shape as my 2FP

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's a lovely Duco Wal!

If the half bail just had an anti-reverse it'd be nigh on perfect....as it is it has to be the 2FP for me.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Nobby wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:58 am That's a lovely Duco Wal!

If the half bail just had an anti-reverse it'd be nigh on perfect....as it is it has to be the 2FP for me.
What is it about the 2 FP that you like so much Nobby, I have the 2FP and a 4FP (my dad nicked the 4FP) and I actually prefer the 2FP, it has a nice whirring noise and seems very smooth in operation.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

NiceRoach wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:17 pm Here's my later than Wal's, Duco, with all smooth paint and badged both sides.

:Hat:
That's a very nice example too Brendan, there was one like it on ebay the other day and I was very tempted..

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:33 pm
Nobby wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:58 am That's a lovely Duco Wal!

What is it about the 2 FP that you like so much Nobby, I have the 2FP and a 4FP (my dad nicked the 4FP) and I actually prefer the 2FP, it has a nice whirring noise and seems very smooth in operation.
To be quite honest It's probably because I had a mint one that ran really nicely...and it was in its original box The number is just the spool capacity so they should, in theory, all be the same...but a good one is a good one and a bad one is never quite as good no matter how many hours you spent polishing all the bits and bobs......

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

The Mole first saw this reel in the Summer of 1966, in the window of S.R. Jeffries in Guildford High Street......it was love at first sight.

After this first sighting the Mole, for it is he, read everything about this reel and everytime the Family visited the 'big town' a lot of time was spent lurking within vision of the reel. So much so even the parents noticed and made some comments etc.

But can you imagine the unmitigated joy in a young Mole when this reel was presented to him that Christmas. How Dad paid for it was by giving up his pipe for several months....a great sacrifice then. :Hat:

The love for this reel was cemented even more when the first time of use resulted in a 1lb 12oz roach from Broadwater Lake......

The love affair continues to this day:

This reel has proved to be a friend for life :Thumb:

As ever,.............

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Ah, Jeffries, the memories... <sniff>
Russ

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Goodness Moley that is in lovely condition. Have you done a refurb on it or did you stop using it after that notable Roach?
Dave@ Hastings

Paul_V
Bleak

Post by Paul_V »

Moley... lovely story mate... nice reel.

:fishing1: sad lot of sods ain't we :cheers:

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”