Allcocks Mounted Sea Line Thrower. 1950’s?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Fredline
Tench

Allcocks Mounted Sea Line Thrower. 1950’s?

Post by Fredline »

This is a great item from the 1950’s? I do not have any Allcocks Tackle Guides so I would much appreciate any information relating to this item in particular what was in the box when it was a originally purchased. Hooks? Trace? Boom? At the moment it just has the Sea Line Thrower, weight and line. The hand line is complete and must have been great fun to use. ImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Allcocks Mounted Sea Line Thrower. 1950’s?

Post by Old Man River »

Thats a lovely peice of memorabilia Fredline, and in such good boxed condition as well.
I would have had hours of fun with that as a lad.

ONR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Fredline wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:05 pm This is a great item from the 1950’s? I do not have any Allcocks Tackle Guides so I would much appreciate any information relating to this item in particular what was in the box when it was a originally purchased. Hooks? Trace? Boom? At the moment it just has the Sea Line Thrower, weight and line. The hand line is complete and must have been great fun to use. ImageImageImage
Another great find John, evidently the first man that tried it out spent quite a long time in hospital! :Hahaha:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I could make use of one of those! Is it alloy?

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Liphook wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:27 pm I could make use of one of those! Is it alloy?
It is Bakelite, the same as the Aerialite range of reels.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thanks for the rapid reply Fredline. I'm interested in this design as I live on the coast and could put something along these lines into service whilst out at low water collecting bait. I've a friend who is a stainless fabricator. I'll see if he can rustle something up. Another thought provoking idea from this excellent forum :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Running back through my Allcock Guides from 1961 to 1934 this just doesn't seem to be catalogued ( unless I missed it...it does make your eyes hurt)..and yet it looked so familiar.

There are mounted sea lines on square wooden frames, complete with paternosters for dangling multiple hooks from... so it isn't as though Allcock left it out as it didn't need a fishing rod to go with it.

I did wonder if it might even be pre-war so I checked the largest Guide of them all, the 1938 one...but nothing!

I went back to my earliest Guide, 1933-34 and it still isn't there.....curses.

So why does it look so familiar....??

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

The idea of the line spilling off the spool has been used for years in the 'turntable' type reels. This hand held version presumably works ok and is a clever idea if you have strong nerves!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”