Early post ww2 Rapidex , Floatcraft & Flick- em study

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Early post ww2 Rapidex , Floatcraft & Flick- em study

Post by Nobby »

Here's an image of the Aerial Match handles.....what do you think fellers?

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

That's interesting Nobby,
The handles do appear to be the same as fitted to the later Aerial, the only difference being the screw instead of rivets.Image

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks for that Nobby . The 1939 handles look remarkably close to the early post war Rapidex ones .

Crucian , I have measured the C815 handles and to me they are the same as the ones on the early post war Rapidex .
John

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nobby wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:06 am I can't be sure...as I don't have one here...but I think the 'round' handles were also used on the PRE war Aerial Match made in only 1939. There may just have been some of these handles hanging around after the war and they were used up first. Immediately post war reels all seem to have them, including Vikings, Beaduexes, and Condexes. These are all riveted on, whereas the Aerial Match handles were held in place with a screw, though I have found one image which has them riveted on too...though I think this is a repair as the rivets just look different from any others used by JW Young.

That's actually a fair few reels so maybe they were made post war after all, but it would seem to suggest they were on the very earliest reels post war.......?
Although Garry Mills was busy today, I managed to ask his opinion on my early Alcock Flickem perfection with the round handles. His opinion was that it was that it was1952/3 ish. What was interesting was that as mine does not have an 'embossed' badge it was not as early as the one's that do? What do you think chaps?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:09 pm
Nobby wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:06 am I can't be sure...as I don't have one here...but I think the 'round' handles were also used on the PRE war Aerial Match made in only 1939. There may just have been some of these handles hanging around after the war and they were used up first. Immediately post war reels all seem to have them, including Vikings, Beaduexes, and Condexes. These are all riveted on, whereas the Aerial Match handles were held in place with a screw, though I have found one image which has them riveted on too...though I think this is a repair as the rivets just look different from any others used by JW Young.

That's actually a fair few reels so maybe they were made post war after all, but it would seem to suggest they were on the very earliest reels post war.......?
Although Garry Mills was busy today, I managed to ask his opinion on my early Alcock Flickem perfection with the round handles. His opinion was that it was that it was1952/3 ish. What was interesting was that as mine does not have an 'embossed' badge it was not as early as the one's that do? What do you think chaps?
Hi Ted
Well I'm not going to Disagree with Garry , mainly because people would laugh at me :Chuckle:
The badges on my allcocks do not look embossed either . Though I have to say neither do half of the early Rapidex reels . Sometimes it's only possible to tell using a jewellers loupe .
The badges are quite interesting and I've not included them in this for good reasons.
Taking into account Garry' s date for your reel it's would seem LTD may have been added to the badges many years after 1947 .

Bass
Stickleback

Post by Bass »

My two early reels. Centrepin capstans both differ one being slightly larger and flatter than the other. One reel has reinforcement ribs around the centre hub. Any info greatly received and sorry for showing up somewhat late.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thought I would add to this thread .
7 early Rapidex / Flick em centrepins with round handles . I've not yet come across a Milwards version with round handles .

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thought I would add this reel , not one of the earliest but I found it interesting .

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sculpted body but a plastic check lever.

So one of the very first changes was to change the check lever from metal to plastic? I wonder if the handles or the lever changed first? And what about the printed badge?

I wonder where Harlesden Angling Club went fishing? Not locally surely? And did they fish with Camafloats which were made in Harlesden originally?

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Nobby wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:54 am Sculpted body but a plastic check lever.

So one of the very first changes was to change the check lever from metal to plastic? I wonder if the handles or the lever changed first? And what about the printed badge?

I wonder where Harlesden Angling Club went fishing? Not locally surely? And did they fish with Camafloats which were made in Harlesden originally?
Its an interesting reel isnt it Nobby . If we dare to assume the reel was new in 1949 for the xmas outing and hadnt been sitting in a shop somewhere for ages then we do have a printed badge in 1949 without the "LTD " , when we know they went LTD in 1947 .

I didnt find much inf about Harlesden AC

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”