Flick 'em, pre war or post war?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Flick 'em, pre war or post war?

Post by Duckett »

Keston wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:57 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:44 pm According to Elwyn Attwoods excellent book on J W Young and Sons, the 3 1/2" dia version of the pattern 12 was first mentioned in their 1938 catalogue, previously only available in 4" dia.. The more modern Rapidex version came out in 1946.

Made under different names for various retailers such as Fosters "Perfection". A Carter & Co as "The Special Sheffield Pattern Roach Reel". George Wilkins "The Perfection Flick-em". W Cummins as the "Homer Roach Reel". H Clayton as "the Fenland". Modern Arms as the "Snapham". Allcocks as the "Flick-em". Helical sold a version as "The Helical Bottom Fishers Aluminium Swimming Reel". There's a mouthful for you.

Wal.
Incredible to think there were so many versions , was there an "Albert Smith " too ?
There was indeed an Albert Smith. There’s one for sale by a dealer at the moment.

There’s also a Homer 3.5 inch diameter. I have the great pleasure of having one in my care. Proof certain for what Nobby says that there was some sort of agreement or licensing between Young’s and Homer’s.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, I believe there was an Albert Smith version.

That's strange about my being told the 3 5/8" ended in 1937 when it wasn't listed until the next year! Since they seem to mostly have supplied the trade I imagine they were offering trade only catalogues.....sadly!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The 1939 Albert Smith catalogue still shows the Homer Flickem reel for sale but mentions the 4" Perfection pattern reel, see bottom of right hand page, I wonder if this is the Pattern 12.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It might well be Wal, as it mentions an adjustable drag. But the Champion is almost a JWY Perfect Flick 'Em bar the absence of that drag and a different style of check lever too!

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”