Match Aerial Arbour

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mitch300
Roach

Match Aerial Arbour

Post by Mitch300 »

Colleagues: I am pleased to present a 4-piece arbour for the C340 4 1/2" Match Aerial.

My original intent was to make, using a 3-D printer, the 12-piece snap-in arbour designed and built on a lathe by Watermole and described elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't achieve the tolerances needed.

Instead, I made a 4-piece arbour with an outer surface that extends 1/32" beyond the outside of each pillar, with a very thin
gap between each adjoining piece (dare I call it `ventilated'?). The added height may slightly worsen the line spilling problem.
The total weight of the 4-piece arbour is about 13 grams. It is similar to the Speedia arbour described by MacMan on this forum. Once fitted to the reel, the first few turns of line keep the arbour tightly in position against the pillars.

It seems to work well in the workshop and on the local river. The photo below shows a model in white.

There are two .stl 3D printer files that are free to anyone who wishes to download them from the link below.

https://www.egr.msu.edu/~brereton/MAArbor.htm

One is the plain quarter-circle arbour and the other has a small indentation to clear the back of the handle post. Each reel requires two of each. If you are in the US and would like one, please send a PM and I will pop it in the mail. I believe our good friend Stathamender may be able to organize a bulk printing order for those in the UK who might be interested.

A Merry Christmas to all Forum members,

G. B.
Last edited by Mitch300 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chavender
Eel

Re: Match Aerial Arbour

Post by Chavender »

very nice.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Stathamender
Tench

Re: Match Aerial Arbour

Post by Stathamender »

I believe our good friend Stathamender may be able to organize a bulk printing order for those in the UK who might be interested.
I'll post something on this later this week.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”