Allcocks match aerial - some help and advice needed please

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Allcocks match aerial - some help and advice needed please

Post by Barbelseeker »

Gentleman and ladies,

I have the oppurtunity of purchasing a very little used reel, in its original ( but very tatty box) as per photographs, but it appears to be missing its rachet knob/lever:

Can anyone suggest a price for it - I don't want to insult the seller and want to give him a fair price. ( I thought about £120)
Has anyone a spare lever/knob for sale and can they state which is the correct fitting.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Peter

Silfield
Brown Trout

Re: Allcocks match aerial - some help and advice needed please

Post by Silfield »

It seems to be a common affliction with Match Aerials that the ratchet knob breaks-mine is cracked and hanging on with the help of a bit of epoxy.
If I remember right, Garry Mills makes replacements, I think it is about £30 for him to fit one or you can buy direct and fit yourself http://www.milltackle.com/store/product ... tch-aerial
£100.00-£120.00 would seem like a fair price to offer but I only have retail and 'that auction site' to go by-hopefully some of the more learned amongst the members could offer suggestions of a realistic price?
Nice reel thou :Thumb:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Given the prices they go for and the fact that the ratchet button and its fixing both need replacing, I wouldn't pay over £90 for it.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

mine broke a few years ago, gary mills made a exact copy for me,£85 max in my view,not the best centrepin as there too narrow for me, a fred crouch wide drum match aerial would be a wiser buy

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”