Ambidex Mk 4 Stripdown

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
SeanM
Tench

Ambidex Mk 4 Stripdown

Post by SeanM »

I 've just stripped down a recently acquired Mk4, mainly to see how it was built and also as part of a restoration. I thought some pictures might help others do the same job.

Here is the rebuilt reel:

In order to strip the gears out of the body unscrew and remove the handle. The gear stack and oscillation arm can then be lifted out of the body. In fact I've just realised that in this picture I'd fitted it the wrong way round! Never mind, it was easily rectified.

Here is the gear stack:

This is held together by a pin and can be pulled apart for cleaning. Just remember which way round the anti-reverse ratchet is fitted.

The central spindle can just be pulled out of the rotor assembly.

Now for the rotor assembly itself. Look at the first picture and you will see a slotted nut just in front of the yellow washer. Carefully place a screw driver blade in one of the slots and rotate the rotor until the blade jams against the body of the reel. A little pressure on the rotor will release the nut and you can then unscrew it.

CAREFUL WITH THE NEXT BIT - SMALL PARTS!

Above is a picture of the rotor assembly removed from the body of the reel. You can see the slotted washer, a delrin washer and a small thrust bearing. This small thrust bearing bears on another yellow delrin washer in the reel body. This can also be removed for cleaning.

Here is a close up of this small bearing assembly:

As you can see from the witness marks on the washer, it is unlikely that this bearing actually works. Poor design.

In the picture of the rotor assembly you can see the larger thrust bearing. This also rotates between two delrin washers. These were grooved so I reversed them. All the bearings were cleaned (careful of the balls) and lubed with in-line skate oil.

Here are all the major assemblies stripped out:

Assembly is simply the reverse of the above process and presents no problems.

If you have axial play of the rotor assembly in the body there is a spacer over part of the thread that the slotted nut goes on. This can be shortened slightly by linishing on emery cloth to take up any play due to wear.

The reel now feels like new. All I need now is a new bail arm and bail arm spring!
Last edited by SeanM on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Ambidex Mk 4 Stripdown

Post by Mark »

That's brilliant Sean thanks for that, it will save me a lot of time when I service my Mk 4.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Thanks Mark! I've just noticed that the oscillation arm is fitted the wrong way round in the picture of the gear stack. The forum won't let me edit the text to point this out. It isn't a great problem if you get it wrong and is obvious when you try to connect the arm to the spindle!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Excellent post and pics.
Thanks SM
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Good work Sean, and thanks for the tutorial. :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think the connecting rod is on up-side down in the second and fourth photographs, Sean.

Not wishing to be critical, of course, but if others are going to use the shots to assist in a strip-down......

The later reels, such as the Mark 5 and Mark 6 as well as the Ambidex 2 with the swan-neck body don't have that 'slotted washer', which I think of a a castle nut. Instead the assembly is held in place by a circlip and thus there is no end-float adjustment.

I've got a spare bail arm and bail arm spring for the Mark 5 and 6, Sean, but I think your Mark 4 has a special two piece bail arm that can be separated if you forget to open the arm before putting line up the rod?

I've started an album of Ambidex images here........

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh31 ... ng%20Reel/

The images of the Mark 4 there are of a reel with a hump-backed body, but I see your reel is not, Sean. Perhaps the 4 had both types.

Incidentally, because the spools all vary, a lot of parts that you expect to be interchangeable between the different Marks actually aren't!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

You have some nice Ambidex reels there Nobby. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I wish! The images are all lifted from other places. The way I see it is that if I don't assemble them together a lot of our angling history will be lost and the knowledge with them.

Every month I discover an image of some lost or forgotten bit of tackle and I save it and show it to some with far, far more knowledge than me to find out what I can about it.

With so many reels being quietly made for other firms by Youngs it can get very confusing and one reel thought to be from the Fifties turned out to be from 1937! I bet it would have fetched more than the £22 it got on eBay if more people had known that.

In fact a recent discovery suggests that Youngs may have made reels for a lot more firms than was generally thought.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Cracking idea Nobby. And welcome to the forum!!! :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Yes, welcome to the mad house Nobby. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”