Rugby School

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Rugby School

Post by Dave Burr »

My Secondary Modern weren't nuffink like that but I was learned proper :Sarcasm:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

The VFC wrote:Not only was BB an art beak at Rugby but it is also the school that Arthur Ransome attended, so doubly piscatorially blessed. Ransome recently had a plaque unveiled - perhaps we should pressure for the same for Denys!
I did not realise that about Ransome Jim. We must have come across half a dozen or so of the blue plaques, I was secretly hoping to find something relating to BB.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Mark wrote:
The VFC wrote:Not only was BB an art beak at Rugby but it is also the school that Arthur Ransome attended, so doubly piscatorially blessed. Ransome recently had a plaque unveiled - perhaps we should pressure for the same for Denys!
I did not realise that about Ransome Jim. We must have come across half a dozen or so of the blue plaques, I was secretly hoping to find something relating to BB.

I think it tells you on the "BB" website Mark, i might be wrong.

http://www.bbsociety.co.uk/index.php

Thanks for sharing some lovely photos, I've been through Rugby a lot and didn't realise you could visit the school.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Stowe angling club have fished at two of the big lakes in the gardens for many years. the waiting list for membership closed about ten years ago when it got too big.
However the club have just lost the fishing rights on those lakes as Stowe landscape gardens are so popular with NT ( 150000 visitors per year ) that they want to expand and the angling car park will spoil the vistas, etc.
So the club have been offered one smaller lake on the outskirts of the estate - bad news for them and they even considered disbanding but about half the members have said they will still join.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Trevor wrote:
Loop Erimder wrote:Very Harry Potter .........and over the other side is a 4 acre lake with lilly pads, 4lb crucians, 8lb tench and 3lb rudd.......... :read:
Hate to shatter the illusion but it's in the town centre, so over the other side is a Poundland and a Starbucks

:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

Great photos, Mark. If that's a phone camera it's a ruddy good one!

Technology has moved on without me. I met the head Baliff at Marsh Farm , the day before yesterday. He told me he takes pictures with his smartphone and they are already on his computer when he gets home !!!

His wife had already admired his catch when he last got home from a fishing trip. He also has an 'app' on it, cost 99p, that allows him to identify passing aircraft and tap into their in-flight camera until they approach an airport.

What would BB have made of it all?......................

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

My daughters school is very harry potterish, not private but they do wear stripy blazers like i wore in the early 80's

They have a nice looking pond in the grounds

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

A friend of mine was a pupil when BB taught there. His only comment was that BB was very good with pupils who were interested in art(my friend was not so inclined!) Note also that Stowe has a sporting connection; T H White was a master there....fishermen, huntsman and falconer as well as a great writer.

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

Mark wrote:
The BB society house their archive at Rugby school, unfortunately it's not on public view.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

AndyB wrote:
Mark wrote:
The BB society house their archive at Rugby school, unfortunately it's not on public view.
Looks like I need to join the BB society then Andy.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

Only £15 a year Mark. If you can get to the forthcoming exhibition at Lamport Hall I think a fair chunk of the archive will be on display.

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”