Rugby School

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
Mark
Head Bailiff

Rugby School

Post by Mark »

Rugby is only 12 miles from where I live and this afternoon the wife wanted to go there shopping for a couple of hours. We have been to Rugby many times but never been to see the school, so today that is what we did.

BB started teaching at Rugby School in 1930 as an assistant art master where he remained for seventeen years. As we were walking around the grounds I wondered if I could be walking in the steps of the man himself. It is a wonderful looking school and grounds, we sat awhile to watch them playing cricket.

Here are a few pictures I took, please excuse the quality as they were taken on my phone.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Trevor
Eel

Re: Rugby School

Post by Trevor »

Nice pictures Mark.
I was born in Rugby and used to go to a boys club in the grounds of the school, but I've never been around the main buildings.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Very Harry Potter .........and over the other side is a 4 acre lake with lilly pads, 4lb crucians, 8lb tench and 3lb rudd.......... :read:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Loop Erimder wrote:Very Harry Potter .........and over the other side is a 4 acre lake with lilly pads, 4lb crucians, 8lb tench and 3lb rudd.......... :read:
Hate to shatter the illusion but it's in the town centre, so over the other side is a Poundland and a Starbucks

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

We really do have some magnificent buildings in Britain!

(Not Starbucks and Poundland obv!)
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Trevor wrote:
Loop Erimder wrote:Very Harry Potter .........and over the other side is a 4 acre lake with lilly pads, 4lb crucians, 8lb tench and 3lb rudd.......... :read:
Hate to shatter the illusion but it's in the town centre, so over the other side is a Poundland and a Starbucks
:Cry:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

If you want a public school that is Harry Potteresque and has amazing lakes including wildies try Stowe...

Both Rugby and Stowe are sporting rivals of the school I teach at. I was once given a second hand invite to fish at Stowe but sadly the member of staff left before I could take him up on his offer. :hairpull:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I was able to have a good few hours wandering around Stowe school whilst my son played rugby there for Oxfordshire. What a place! And those lakes are begging to be fished!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Ahh the Old Alma Mater - I can almost smell the deep heat and pre-pubescent dreams again! Not only was BB an art beak at Rugby but it is also the school that Arthur Ransome attended, so doubly piscatorially blessed. Ransome recently had a plaque unveiled - perhaps we should pressure for the same for Denys!
ATB
Jim

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

LuckyLuca wrote:I was able to have a good few hours wandering around Stowe school whilst my son played rugby there for Oxfordshire. What a place! And those lakes are begging to be fished!
Skeff is one of the people who has the say about such waters....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”