BB and Tench

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

BB and Tench

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Of course alot of us will know BB as the author of many fine books about fishing( And other country matters). He was I believe the first President of the Carp Catchers , and Confessions of a Carp Angler,places him firmly as a Carp fanatic.

His other writings touch on other species, many of us have a favourite.

Personally I came to fishing from a rough shooting and wildfowling background( Nether of which I partake in now). Both of these subjects I had read BBs work on, long before taking up course fishing, but it was one book,arguably a childrens adventure book, that he wrote, which created the bridge between the two sports that I crossed. Only to be left on the side of the Rod rather than that of the Gun, all these years later.

Brendon Chase, a story of three brothers running away to live in a Forest is the book that I am refering to. In it there are many tales of snaring rabbits, catching a run wild domestic pig, digging up potatoes and man other such things.

Page 104...."As he lay by the reeds and fern, staring down,down into the green depths, a dim movement attracted his attention below and a grave procession of massive bronze fish passed silently by, some five feet down.In weight and girth they were bigger than any fresh water fish that he had ever seen, with the exception of a Pike.They were Tench."

Later in the book BB describes the boys fishing with worms on the ends of Handlines.

But it was the desription of the Tench and its place in nature that lead me to the world of course fishing , and to a real pleasure from BBs take on Fishing , nature and such things.

Well worth reading, and sharing with younger people if you so wish.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: BB and Tench

Post by Mark »

It sounds a lovely book John, I have never read it but it's now added onto my ever growing list.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Gateleaner
Ruffe

Post by Gateleaner »

One of the loveliest children's books ever written. Up there with Wind in the Willows in my opinion.
Even my 16 year old son recently read it and said it was really good.
In the 70's the BBC serialised it. I managed to source a copy on DVD on eBay.
It’s a shocking copy but it took me right back to the 70’s and the anticipation of the next instalment and childhood dreaming of running away and living wild in the English countryside.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Never read it - so on your recommendation i've just ordered it: cant' wait to read to my outdoorsy/ fishing (middle) son! If its got those bloody gnomes in it again I shall not be best pleased..... (we "did" The LGM some time ago!)Jim

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

What's wrong with the gnomes? I like The Little Grey Men :)

Frankelson

Post by Frankelson »

Not wishing to hijack the thread by: "Bevis, The Story of a Boy" by Richard Jeffries is along the same lines. A wonderful read.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

BB is, indeed, one of the greatest ever writers of countryside books. Along with the many fishing boks of his in my collection, there are also great titles including Tides Ending, Manka the Sky Gypsy, Wild Lone and The Quiet Fields.

Brendan Chase will now be on my list, thanks for the info.....

SK
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

No objection to the Little Grey Men per se - but we spent several months tripping over small children pretending to have conversations with Sneezewort, Cloudberry et al.!

And SK - its Brendon Chase.... I think if you add "Brendan Chase" to your list you end up booking a cottage in Windemere! : ))

Jim

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Ah, right, thanks Jim. :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

BB even went to his grave convinced he had seen an actual living gnome...
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”