This just appeared on the River Roding - mink trap? How does it work?

This forum belongs to the River Roding.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: This just appeared on the River Roding - mink trap? How does it work?

Post by Olly »

Like the above used them and monitored them for some years.

If/when Mink footprints are found in the soft clay/etc - a trap is placed inside. Traps must have an otter guard (same for crayfish traps and fyke nets) and must be checked daily. As dispatch my drowning is criminal offence so an air weapon is used.

Once had a mink chewing the barrel end - stupid creature!

Mink and otters do not like sharing - the mink comes off worse.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

A good few years ago I noticed some little plastic triangular tunnels in some low scrub at a newish woodland we visit, I had to have a look and noticed that they had a little black pad at the ends and a sheet of white paper through the middle. They were placed there to monitor the wildlife that was moving through and I was pleased to see many little footprints inside.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Probably for them mouses, voles and shrews.

I think most of us have had the odd one of the above in our swim!

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

On ‘unwanted’ creatures being caught in a mink ( or any other trap ) the good practice of checking a trap very regularly should at least result in release. On Mink my friend has to this week accounted over the last 10 years for 123 Mink on two small local rivers one of which feeds a reservoir, all caught in traps. The last few years he has only caught a handful, the return of the Otter has also helped the Minks demise. As an aside one of his land drains was blocked resulting in flooding, when they dug down the blockage was caused by hundreds of Signal Crayfish which had gone to breed, he said it was a horrible sight ! The river is infested with them and despite various attempts by the EA to eradicate them it’s made no difference.
Tight lines Dave

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Rutland Rod wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:35 am On ‘unwanted’ creatures being caught in a mink ( or any other trap ) the good practice of checking a trap very regularly should at least result in release. On Mink my friend has to this week accounted over the last 10 years for 123 Mink on two small local rivers one of which feeds a reservoir, all caught in traps. The last few years he has only caught a handful, the return of the Otter has also helped the Minks demise. As an aside one of his land drains was blocked resulting in flooding, when they dug down the blockage was caused by hundreds of Signal Crayfish which had gone to breed, he said it was a horrible sight ! The river is infested with them and despite various attempts by the EA to eradicate them it’s made no difference.
Tight lines Dave
The only chance we have of eradicating signals is biological and I'm afraid there is no prospect in sight, to the best of my knowledge.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “River Roding”