A History of Carp Fishing Revisited

This forum belongs to Kevin Clifford.
Mark
Head Bailiff

A History of Carp Fishing Revisited

Post by Mark »

For those who are not sure what the differences are between 'A History of Carp Fishing' and 'A History of Carp Fishing Revisited', Kevin explains it here himself.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Re: A History of Carp Fishing Revisited

Post by TemeLAD »

Both excellent books but the "Revisited" version is awesome - highly recommended.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

TemeLAD wrote:Both excellent books but the "Revisited" version is awesome - highly recommended.
Totally agree

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Absolutely! :Thumb:

Plot36
Roach

Post by Plot36 »

Would this book appeal to someone for whom carp fishing is a pleasant alternative to the serious business of fooling a wild brown trout with a dry fly? Or do carp have to be my reason for existing to enjoy this book?

I have really enjoyed reading 'Confessions' and 'Casting at the Sun' but, as a title, 'History . . .' does sounds an altogether different type of book.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Plot36 wrote:Would this book appeal to someone for whom carp fishing is a pleasant alternative to the serious business of fooling a wild brown trout with a dry fly? Or do carp have to be my reason for existing to enjoy this book?

I have really enjoyed reading 'Confessions' and 'Casting at the Sun' but, as a title, 'History . . .' does sounds an altogether different type of book.
I was thinking something along those lines plot36.

I'm fussy with books, if I can't get into it right away then I won't read it.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Plot36 wrote:Would this book appeal to someone for whom carp fishing is a pleasant alternative to the serious business of fooling a wild brown trout with a dry fly? Or do carp have to be my reason for existing to enjoy this book?

It is all about the books title Plot36, if you are interested in the history of carp fishing this book it is for you, it's not a how to catch them book.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Plot36
Roach

Post by Plot36 »

Mark wrote:

It is all about the books title Plot36, if you are interested in the history of carp fishing this book it is for you, it's not a how to catch them book.
Yes, sorry, not a very well-worded question. What I meant was, as well as being a well-researched, extensive history, is it also a 'good read'? I have a book on the history of fly fishing in Derbyshire and, whilst a lot of work has obviously gone into the research, and it's a valuable source of information, it's not a book I'd chose to settle down to read by the fire with a glass of Glenmorangie.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Hi Plot36,
I've not read the 'revisited' version although I've browsed through a friend's copy and it looks amazing - the pictures alone make it very special. I do have the original version though and in my opinion, yes it is a good fireside read.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Return to “Kevin Clifford”