A. E. RUDGE...A Champion or a Basket Case Too Far

The A. E. Rudge and Son Rods forum.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: A. E. RUDGE...A Champion or a Basket Case Too Far

Post by Kingfisher »

Looks like it's coming along NN, fingers crossed for the gluing and finding the information you need. :read:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

A quick update.

I spent all day yesterday and this morning on the beast. Slowly but surely the tide maybe turning my way.

The gluing was completed as the first job yesterday once stripped. Today I joined the rod together and although all the ferrules are loose (or off) I had all 3 sections together and flexed the rod ever so gingerly and slightly. Ok with the ferrules in the state they were, it knocked like a Lady of the Night’s headboard but the bend in the butt section was true, didn’t groan or split and for the first time I allowed myself a smile. Maybe, just maybe……

Still a long, long way to go yet though, and at any moment it could be a new disaster lurking around the corner.

After the first coat of varnish

"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

No. I don't think there will be a disaster! Looks like you have got it sorted now. If you are bending it and it's fine, what else could go wrong?

What a transformation already! That cane is a lovely colour too. Well done, NN.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Wow.That looks really nice.I think it would be a fine rod when finished....

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

That's an amazing transformation NorthernNomad, welld one Sir. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Good Grief!!! I would have disposed of it at first sight. That's quite some difference N.N. I agree Lazarus would be a fitting name for the restored rod. Amazing transformation. :Hat:

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Great work as always Neil....really impressive restoration. Are you bringing that with you next week along with the other work of art ? I shall have the camera and note book for measurements.....

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Splendid work, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Neil I've just spotted this thread and was interested because last year I bought a Rudge Champion that was generally in very good condition but then discovered that the tip section had gone 'soft'. It would have made a lovely light float rod but for the problem with the tip. Did you ever get yours finished, and have you used it since?
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Hi Wagtail,

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday. Just looked on today and thought the thread title seemed familiar :Confused:

Well mixed news on this one to be honest. See pictures below:

I was fishing with it one day when a nasty cracking sound emitted from it and the butt section which had been the most damaged decided to throw its hand in. Nothing dramatic, no huge fish on at the time, just a gentle underarm cast to a nearby bush and it broke.

Not all bad news though as it had served me well for around two years until it broke, and those two years gave me pleasure like a rod you have restored yourself can give. In essence the splits on the butt section were too severe. The glued splits didn't give way it was the remaining cane around the area which had weakened as can be seen from the photo's.
Far better it went fo fishing rod Valhalla in battle than rotting away in a dark shed.

One mans disaster is another mans profit. I was going to make a new butt section as this leaves a hole in my collection, but the middle section has also been repaired and may go the same way at sometime. So it looks like you may have sourced yourself a replacement tip :Wink:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Return to “A. E. Rudge and Son Cane Rods”