A E Rudge and sons "The Champion"

The A. E. Rudge and Son Rods forum.
Kingfisher
Catfish

A E Rudge and sons "The Champion"

Post by Kingfisher »

The rod I sometimes use is one of three i bought for the grand sum of £10 from oxfam. There was also a nice good conditioned cane landing net handle included.

I know nothing about this rod's value or where it came from but it's an Aldridge and sons "The champion"!

If anyone knows anything about it I'd be very glad to know, i don't think i would sell it because i like the feel of it. I presume it's a 12 ft match rod but it handles the carp pretty well too, I caught the 10lb carp on it in the photography bit of this forum, you can just see the handle of it on the ground.

Sorry folks I've had to edit the title it seems either my cider or my Glasses were playing tricks on me last night and I read the makers name as Aldridge and sons, whereas it was infact A E RUDGE and sons....sorry. :hahaha:
Last edited by Kingfisher on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Aldridge and sons "The Champion"

Post by Kingfisher »

I've been cruising the internet looking for any information on Aldridge and sons but I can't find any atall.

I've also checked ebay but there are no Aldridge rods on there either.

I was sort of hoping that somebody might point me in the right direction to get some information or even perhaps knew a little about him themselves.

Izaak Walton

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

The only Aldridge and sons I'm familiar with are a firm of auctioneers in Devizes, I've never heard that name in connection with manufacture or sale of fishing tackle.

Could you post some photographs of the rod, including any transfer or writing that identifies the name of the maker and the rod?

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Pduffield, I've been thinking lately about having an eye test and by golly now I know I need one.

It is an A E Rudge and sons, not Aldridge as I originally read it as. I'll put some pics up now.

I'd like to know it's estimated value, just so that if ever i did decide to sell it I don't get taken for a ride :wink:

Last edited by Kingfisher on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

These are pics of the other rod that was bought with the one above for £10 from oxfam.
It's hard to get decent pics at this time of night because of the unatural light indoors and so this is the best I could do for now.

I don't know the maker of this one but it looks to my untrained eye like a greenheart rod.

See what you Guys think!

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

There is a split half way down the top section of the second rod, does this mean that it's beyond repair. It hasn't snapped completely yet but I felt it going whilst looking at it.

Could it be strengthened somehow or mended completely.

I'm a total amateur at rod repair but have nothing to lose I suppose if the rod is already going.

Izaak Walton

PDuffield
Grayling

Re: A E Rudge and sons "The Champion"

Post by PDuffield »

A E Rudge are not one of the most sought after makers, so although from what I've seen of them, they made good quality rods, they don't tend to attract high prices. You should find quite a lot of information about A E Rudge rods on the net, a quick google search just now turned up a lot of results.

The other rod you've posted could be an early Allcocks greenheart rod. If you look at the brass hardware at the bottom of the butt section you may find a maker's mark there. I'm no expert on greenheart, but it does have a reputation for splitting along the grain. Hopefully others with more experience of greenheart rods will be along to offer more information.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Thanks for the info paul, in a way i'm glad it isn't worth that much because i enjoy using it and it means it's a good rod to start on as a project refurbishing it.

Izaak Walton

MrTrout

Post by MrTrout »

As a boy I had a Rudge bicycle, any relation do you think.
Looks a nice wee rod for very little money.
S.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Rudge cycles has quite a history Mrtrout but sadly no fishing tackle. They were bought by EMI records and then sold to Raleigh. So no relations to AE Rudge and sons I'm afraid.

Izaak Walton

Return to “A. E. Rudge and Son Cane Rods”