Rodrill of London.

The Rodrill of London Rods forum.
Haydn Clarke

Rodrill of London.

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Some of these pictures were posted on the old PP site, as well as thepathbythewater. Due to having a sort out on my photobucket all the old links were broken so I thought I'd put them up again on here instead.

A somewhat unloved maker this one, but I am about to start work on my third. The first one I done was my first proper restoration from the blank up. I bought it firstly, because it was cheap (not wanting to start a learning curve on a B James or such like), and secondly, because I'd read somewhere out there in the internet ether, that they happened to have made, at one time, a nice, strong, barbel rod. Anyhow, when it turned up, all twenty quids worth of the thing, I rather liked it and truth be told it's one of the first rods I reach for when I know there's potential for some agro from either big marauding barbel and carp. It's a rather strong, 3 pc eleven footer, somewhere between an avon and a MK IV, I'd guess. The first one I done I re-ringed with some nice clear, stand-off agates I got from Barney. I lifted a colour scheme straight from the Edward Barder Pallet (garnet with gold inters), added a hook keeper, nice bag, and turned up some ferrul stoppers. Amongst my collection it stands somewhere out in front on account of it being my first restorations and also because I took a top-caught (free-lined floating crust) 15lb carp, a 6lb 1oz chub and a 7lb 12oz barbel all on it's maiden voyage, all within a couple of hours.

And just for pure vanity the 3 aforementioned fish (with cliched c'pin pose)

Then the second Rodrill I done, which incidentally I bought only so that I would have spare tip for the first. It stood in the corner of the room till I could stand looking at it no more. This time I done it with the same clear agate lined butt and tip but with open bridge guides as a full-on leger rod. I added an extra ring to the tip section, something I wish I had of done on the first now, too, as the four that were on there originally, while perfectly acceptible, could have been improved slightly. I extended the handle forward (loosing the badge in the process), added a thick cork top and bottom and then gave it a black and white jasper whip whith extra thin inters and some new reel bands. I don't have the before pictures but it was pretty much exactly the same as the first.

And so I now have one more to do. Again bought as a spare lest I break the tip on the previous two but again it's just too good to leave unrestored and yet again I find myself restoring another one of these old Rodrills. This one I think I'll do with a nice dark green and red with 1/2", or if I'm feeling brave, 1/4" inters.

To be continued....

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Rodrill of London.

Post by Mark »

Some lovely rods and pictures there Haydn. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Fantastic. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Just beautiful work. I really like the total precision of the intermediates and the overall clean aesthetic you achieve. Some great 'with fish' images as well. I don't think I'll ever tire of reading about and looking at rods and images such as these.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Lovely work as usual. Nice looking rods, quite slender. I particularly like the opaque lining to the rings
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Lovely rods, lovely fish. :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Those are absolutely beautiful Haydn, some day all rods will be made this way!!!! :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

My third and, one would hope, last Rodrill of London. I must admit to coming over all camp on this one initially, but then thought better of it. I started out with the Piper's Guardsman red, which, like most reds, ends up looking just like Garnet anyhow. But to start with I thought I'd do something a little different. Originality tarts look away now...because I decided to tip the whippings with a metalic silver... yes, a metalic silver Coat's thread. Taste got the better of me though and I removed it.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Lovely Haydn, just lovely. :hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Thanks, Mark. A much underated rod and marque, is the old Rodrill. I think I recall another fourm user thinking it was pretty much an Allcocks Adonis clone. Whatever they are, I like them. And truth be told, the one I fitted out with open bridge guides is what I reach for first if I know there's likely to be a few lunkers about. The action seems to sit nicely between an Avon and a MK IV but at a useful 11ft length and without the worryingly expensive price tag that comes with an Avocet. A good every-day rod, in other words.

Return to “Rodrill of London Cane Rods”