Rodrill of London.

The Rodrill of London Rods forum.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Rodrill of London.

Post by Vole »

There was also this thread :
http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/gene ... mpany.html

The name of the chap associated with the firm, and who contributes much to this thread, is Julian Pardoe.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

BarbelBonce

Post by BarbelBonce »

http://vintagefishingtackle.net/ROD-RES ... IR-SERVICE

Here's a 13ft vesion of the Forshaw Goldcrest that Steve Boncey did.
How is he, by the way?

Thanks for all the info re. EARC - Nobby, Vole etc.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

I have just bought three Rodrill.s, stripped of rings and varnish ready to be restored, two weigh in at 12.6oz and one at 12.8oz stripped and measure two at 14.2 and one at 14.8 at the shoulder collar. Two early dark cane and one later lighter cane, one with a brand new tip section supplied by Chapman.s.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

They'll all be fairly late rods with that anodising, could you do us a close-up on the odd label...it's not one I've seen before...no leaping fish?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:They'll all be fairly late rods with that anodising, could you do us a close-up on the odd label...it's not one I've seen before...no leaping fish?
Best i can do

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Duly lifted for posterity. Thanks very much....never seen that before.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Yes that is an unusual label that Rodrill one. None of mine have that one.

Those Rods look to be almost unused. And the fact that you've got 3 together un-ringed looks like you've come across some rods blanks that were never actually built. Unless of course you can see the shadows from the rings.

I have one of those very same rods with the red anodised fittings.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Haydn Clarke wrote:
Those Rods look to be almost unused. And the fact that you've got 3 together un-ringed looks like you've come across some rods blanks that were never actually built. Unless of course you can see the shadows from the rings.
All three rods have been used, the one with the unusual transfer has a new tip section and been stripped, one of the others has been stripped and had a set of ferrules fitted that will have to come off and be fitted again and the other has been stripped with all the ferules just pushed in place.

Also read somewhere that Chapman,s made the blank,s for Rodrill.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

When I went up to see Chapman's to collect a tip they'd made for me, I mentioned to John about Rodril, just asking what he knew of the company. He did tell me then they had supplied them with blanks at some stage. All three of the ones I have restored have been put together perfectly. Not so much as a glue line anywhere and certainly no delamination, despite one or two having been poorly stored in what looked, from the rusty rings at least, to have been a damp place. None of them have taken much of a set, even in the tip sections either. The three that I have now done are not the same as the red anodised rods though, being far thinner in the butt and mid sections.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I recently acquired a Rodrill 'Mallard' from a well known collector. My family originally came from Tottenham where Rodrill rods were made and had dealings with them, I'd hoped this rod was one owned by either my uncle or grandfather but that was not the case, although the original owner was known to my family and possibly fished alongside them on the kings weir. The rod is 11' long, whole cane butt, built cane mid and tip and has been checked by a few people who seem to think it's an early Avocet type blank as made by Bob Southwell, dark and steely, extremely well made and finished in dark green whippings with red tippets, green intermediate whippings at 1 3/4", 1 1/2" and 1 1/4" spacing son butt, mid and tip sections respectively. Green anodised reel bands, winding check and threaded tut cap with a black and white rubber button. Aqua lite tip and butt guides with high bell intermediate guides. The varnish is more satin than matt but not gloss. Only used it once for perch so far and not put it through it's paces but it's last owner has used it for barbel.

Return to “Rodrill of London Cane Rods”