Rodrill of London

The Rodrill of London Rods forum.
Ajsrider
Minnow

Rodrill of London

Post by Ajsrider »

I have just aquired a 12foot split cane 3 piece rod by Rodrill of London. I have not heard of this builder before and wondered if any one has heard of them. It has red anodised reel fittings over a cork handle and a red anodied but cap.
I have a picture of Rodrills Logo from the rod but i am unable to up load it at present.
Thanks

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Rodrill of London

Post by AshbyCut »

There are many references to the make in threads here, ajsrider. Just use the "Search" facility at the top right of your screen.

I'm sure that there will be members along shortly who will be able to help more.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ajsrider
Minnow

Post by Ajsrider »

I have just searched and you were quite right Ashbycut there is a lot of references.
It seems they are quite well known.
The rod is in good condition for its age and quite fishable as it is. It even has the makers name on the rod bag.
I have just got to use it now......

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've never seen a Rodrill bag. An image would be most appreciated for the archives, if you get the chance.

Well made rods, generally on the stout side, they eventually got given the Goldcrest brand name and were usually named after birds too. The company went on long enough to move into fibreglass rods, usually coloured green.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

AJ, I have four Rodrills but none of them are twelve footers. In fact, I've never seen a twelve foot Rodrill, so I'm not sure what your rod is like. Of the four I have, three are the same and then there is one that is different. This single rod has the same red anodised fittings as yours and whist not wishing to pee on anyone's bonfire, it is, I'm afraid, a rather poor rod by comparison to the other three. That said, yours is twelve footer so could be an entirely different rod. Beings that the name is not the most sought after I decided to upgrade all the fittings on mine and restored them to how I wanted them to be, rather than restoring them to their original standard. So, the pictures may look vastly different to yours, but if you click on the link below you'll see some pictures prior to them being restored. Hope this helps.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... ill#p16017

P.S page two of this thread also shows the red anodised rod. As well as being the only one to have the red it is also the only rod to have a cigar handle and tapered shoulder collar.

Ajsrider
Minnow

Post by Ajsrider »

Hi Haydn
I have looked at your restored rods and they are very well done. Puts my efforts to shame.

Taking your advice i assembled the rod and measured its length - It is 11 foot as you correctly suggested. I have also had to replace one of the rings, I had no Gold/Yellow thread so i reused the original. Its not too bad but certainly not to your standard.

I have photographed the bag with its label and the but section showing the handle and anodised reel collars. As soon as I know how i will upload them.

Thanks for your input I am looking forward to using the rod which is a little stiffer than I originally thought. There are no 'Bird Names'on the rod.

Ajsrider
Minnow

Post by Ajsrider »

Hi all
I have some pictures of the handle with reel fittings, the Rodrill label and the label on the rod bag
I do not know how to put them on the forum so i have put them on the Intrepid Reel Website http://www.intrepidreel.com under the Centrepin reels section. Please have alook

Sorry for the delay but I have only just been able to update the Website with photos and text and I had to test it so I used these Rodrill photos.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I'm not so sure which Rodrill you have there, after seeing those pictures, AJ. The end of the cork look very similar to the first one I restored, though mine did not have the red anodised fittings. Small details, I know, and detaisl that prove little, one way or t'other. I'll be working from home in the next few days so I'll see if I can get the verniers on one or two of mine.

Nice site on the reels, by the way. I'll have a look through that later.

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

I read this topic with interest having just purchased a Rodrill Kestral complete with the original bag. My rod is a 10' in a brown finish with black and red whippings. The rod appears to have had very little use as claimed ( the handle does seem remarkably clean) I conducetd a couple of tests in the garage and would estimate the TC to be somewhere between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 lb. Should do nicely for close float fishing for carp.
After reading Nobby's comment I have include a photo of the bag. Loooking at the label and discoluration I think it may be older than the actual bag ??

Return to “Rodrill of London Cane Rods”