Advice on my auction find of a 'Festival'

The Precision Rods forum.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: Advice on my auction find of a 'Festival'

Post by Rutland Rod »

The 'Festival' is ready to collect after restoration, Andrew Davis reports cane in excellent condition and it now looks superb, will post some picks when I get it, next decision is what water do I try it on ? on any of my regular waters I know I will be sure to catch at least small Roach along with average Chub or Carp, but.......I'm still to catch a Barbel for which the Festival seem's well suited so I'm tempted to try the Trent on a day ticket stretch suggested by Bob Brooks or the syndicate stretch of the Nene I'm a member of, a nice decision to have to make !
Tight lines Dave

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Remember RR, Sir ... I believe that there's a difference between the Precision Rods 'Festival' (in all it's 3 manifestations) and the 'Festival Avon' ... which is the one praised as the great barbel rod ... rods of a very different nature, I'm led to believe (though I've only held my 'Festival' with a compound taper in the centre section, and I've yet to christen it !) I wouldn't challenge my rod against a barbel of today's proportions in a strong, snaggy swim.

Talk again with Andrew (he refurbished my 'Festival') ... and follow his advise.

It was John Olliff-Cooper who made the statement that "Precision Rods marketed an absolutely marvellous barbel rod called the Avon Festival. It had compound taper split cane sections, and a whole cane butt" in an article he wrote in 2002 (link here :- http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=2057) ... but my understanding is that the 'Festival Avon' is a more powerful rod than the three 'Festival' (no 'Avon' name written on them) versions ... one of which had simple tapers, the second variation had a compound taper in the centre section, and the third version had compound tapers in both tip and centre sections.

Of course ... I could be entirely wrong ... and how we wish there was a catalogue produced at some point ! Such is the enigma of this company.

I wait to be shot down in flames ... of course.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Image Collected the 'Festival' from Andrew yesterday and a very fine job, it looks too good to use....but it will be ! all the original colour of the cane revealed, red silk whips, ferrules blued,it's not the Avon model and when I mentioned using it with the intention of Barbel he said that it could be pushing it a bit, good sized Chub no prob's but not intended for larger Barbel ( your dead right Mal) Andrew pointed out the stagger in the cane which makes the 'Festival' special, he also kindly had a look at my latest find of the Marko 12' Test and straightened the tip with his heat gun also gave me some rings and advice on when I renovate it, will try to post a pic which does not show Andrews craftsmanship as it is in the flesh. Tight lines Dave

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Superb work by Andrew, as usual ! That looks simply splendid Dave, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Rutland Rod a few years ago after purchasing a couple of rods from Andrew Davis aka James on here he told me he had acquired the taper for a Festival Avon, 10 mins later on the phone and deal was done it is without fear of contradiction in old Bumbles eyes the finest Barbel rod ever produced. I say that with no fear of a challenge as I own a Barder Maximus and a Brough Barbel master which by the way are sublime rods in their own right.
I also have a couple of Festivals one dressed like yours the other similar to a Tudor Supreme both great Chub and Tench rods but not for large Barbel.
I attach some pictures of James Festival Avon
The Barbel was 9-10 and the Carp 20-8 if I remember correctly
G Image

Bumble

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Strewth what a page! I'm drooling!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”