Advice on my auction find of a 'Festival'

The Precision Rods forum.
GazTheAngler

Re: Advice on my auction find of a 'Festival'

Post by GazTheAngler »

Glad your OK now Dave.

I was rushed to Hosital over 10 years ago now with a severe asthma attack, bule lights the lot .didn't know much about it at the time. I'm my thrashing I apprently punched a doctor and bent a canula in my arm, Dr then asked SWMBO if I'd been taking drugs!! her answer was unrepeatable. That ws all down to a chest infection.

What a class rod you found, have you thought of contacting Wally's cast on here about a refurb, all I hear is good reports.

Gaz

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Many thanks Chap's for all your kind words, a 'Precision' owners session sounds a splendid idea, perhaps a day in Nov or Dec ?

Tight lines
Dave

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

hi dave, as promised a pic of my festival after restoration ,it allso came in a karkie bag with no badge on it,get well soon chubman. Image

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Thanks again Chap's for all your advice on the rod and your best wishes for my recovery, feel a lot better and walking the dog twice a day for a couple of miles at a easy pace, so fishing is now on my mind. On the possible rod refurb I took up Bumbles advice and contacted Andrew Davis, he is booked up for a very long time ahead but my name's on his waiting list and a couple of months before he is ready to do it I will take it over to him, a very fair price quoted. As its going to be a long wait I suggested to Andrew that I would use it very lightly in the meantime, he agreed that wire wool on the rusty rod rings would do the trick, so once I have used it I will update on how I get on.

Tight lines
Dave

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Today was my first outing with the 'Festival' I had used wire wool on the rings which were rusty and was confident that the 8lb maxima would not be damaged, an old cork bodied float with one swan shot and 8 hook was the business end, decided to use an old Nottingham Slater latch reel which our 'Chavender' said is quite rare due to the half moon on the back of reel. Decided to try a small stream on the Rutland/Lincs border where a farmer kindly lets me fish. Arrived at 9am with my waders expecting after last weeks rain to have to wade through about 3ft of water (I can only fish the far bank) to my suprise the level had dropped to summer level, not a good sign given that the stretch I fish has an average depth of about 1ft and the pool/bend my 'hot spot in the pic is' about 2ft. My last visit had been with the fly rod in July and the undergrowth showed no signs that anyone had been there since. Got down in the reeds and set a depth of about 18'' in the gin clear water I could see the breadflake drifting just off the bottom, suddenly it disappeared the float went under and the Chub in the pic was in the net, first cast ! however...........despite the pool always holding fish I never had another bite for an hour when two more chub both smaller than the first were caught. Decided to head for home as I'd had two pleasurable hours. How did the rod feel ? well it handled the fish very smoothly, It was solid/steely in the hand and for me its better in the rod rest than holding it for a long period, very pleased with it. My tiny pic skills have let me down again ! 2 of the same fish pic !

Tight lines
Dave
Image Image Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

RR the festival is just such a cool rod please stop posting now or everyone will find out and Ashbycut,Chubman and yours truly will not be able to corner the market anymore for Sealey Precision rods.
Bumble

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A splendid fish on a splendid rod. Well done That Man !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

RR thats a nice small river swim, glad the rod performed well on its first outing.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Returning from my hols I checked my voicemail to find that Andrew Davis had rung to say that he was ready to re-furb the 'Festival' went over to Andrew's this morning and in a few weeks it will be back to how it left Redditch many years ago (or some might say better !) looked at and held some lovely rods both Andrew's new builds and some like mine in restoration stage, Andrew is a mine of information pointing out the stagger on the 'Festivals' mid and tip sections, as Bumble and others have said Andrew's work is of a very high standard. I retired in March this year and my ex colleagues whip round will be a pleasure to spend on the rod, my mates were very generous but not quite enough to compliment the re-furb with one of Andrew's new builds ! will post pics when its ready.
Tight lines
Dave

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Excellent news, Sir !!! Money well spent !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”