Advice on my auction find of a 'Festival'

The Precision Rods forum.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Advice on my auction find of a 'Festival'

Post by Rutland Rod »

Will try to post pics in few days time but saw a R Sealey cane rod was a lot at a local auction today, on looking at the pic looked worth the 50 mile round trip to view, went on Sat and was pleased to see in between the Precision logo 'R.Sealey / Festival in ink script, the mid and tip section were together and on tried to gently free them, to no avail.................the rings did not even line up so I suspect a clumsy 'waggler' was to blame. The staff were busy and said they would do it the following day. The rod was very straight and the butt to mid section was a good fit, the tapered ferrules look in good condition but the stand off bells rings are rusted, it had been re-varnished at some point but I think in good nic, the whippings are in a dark maroon which the heavy varnish has darkened. The length is as follows but may be an inch or so out due to the mid/tip still being together.

The butt (whole cane) is 45.5'' with agate butt ring just over half inch dia, handle is 20.75'' from the top of alloy collar to alloy butt end which has an alloy screw where a button will go, bands are alloy, slightly swelled cork near collar The mid section (split cane) is 45.5'' with the tip (split cane) going 44'' the agate ring and whipping appears untouched so perhaps its not lost 1.5'' ?

Following the viewing I looked on here and read Bumbles and others comments on this rod being good, Bumbles rod is super, so I decided to turn up and bid thinking an online or phone bidder (perhaps a TF off here!) had seen it and it would go for big dosh, as it turned out there was 3 bidding in the room and I got it for £38 including buyers commission/VAT so well pleased....But !!! the staff had not tried to separate the mid/tip which had got me worried as I had visions of mole grips etc !! I got home and tried to separate to no avail....I put the lightest touch of penetrating oil but it still wont move, there is an 1'' showing so I'm presuming an 1'' or so of the male is inside, advice to separate gratefully received !! My last question what model 'Festival' could it be, its not at all floppy, quite 'steely' in fact, could it be an Avon ?

The khaki canvas bag has no label on it and there are no stoppers, all in all a good day, the big decision is do I renovate myself or pay for a super job in the manner of Bumbles cracker.

Tight lines
Dave

Robbi
Tench

Re: Advice on my auction find of a 'Festival'

Post by Robbi »

Put on rubber gloves and try again :). You could very well be surprised.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Robbi wrote:Put on rubber gloves and try again :). You could very well be surprised.
Said the actress to the bishop :Hahaha:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The Festival seems to be a separate model to the famed Festival Avon. Lighter action, I beleive, but a good strong all-rounder.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

a quality rod,very steel like action which will handle any large chub or barbel with its double compound tapers on the mid and tip sections,the last one i saw on the market went for over £500 as its a rare rod to find,i wonder if a little gentle heat on the female ferrule might work,the worst that can happen is the ferrule comes off the cane.
ryan burns is an avid fan of this rod and makes a repica version and he restored my festival to its original state for me which is what i would do with such a rod of this quality,he did a cracking good job on mine, best wishes chubman.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Good lord mole grips on a Sealey I may not sleep tonight the Festval is one of the great all round rods get some serious advise from Andrew Davis or Cane and able on here
Bumble

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

I like the marigold rubber glove idea. What is the technique ? Do you hold the ferrules and just turn one section. Never quite sure of the correct technique for separating stuck ferrules. This question notwithstanding the wise advice from Bumble.
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

The way that works for me is to sit on the edge of a chair with your legs bent and knees together, put the rod up behind your knees, grip the rod tightly with your rubber clad hands tight up close either side of your knees.

Now open your knees whilst pulling apart with your hands.

You'll be surprised how well this works.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Robbi wrote:The way that works for me is to sit on the edge of a chair with your legs bent and knees together, put the rod up behind your knees, grip the rod tightly with your rubber clad hands tight up close either side of your knees.

Now open your knees whilst pulling apart with your hands.

You'll be surprised how well this works.
This is how i was shown by a chap that has unstuck many rods.It seems to work most times.well worth a :Thumb: try.

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Yes Robbi's advice is the technique I've used on many an occasion to free stuck ferrules .. I wouldn't recommend twisting the sections since this can lead to delamination of the sections .. Good luck ..

Oh , suffice to say this is best done in an open space since the sections tend to come unstuck with some force .

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”