Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Marsden.'

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Marsden.'

Post by AshbyCut »

An internet contact was walking through his home town today when he spotted a rod standing forlornly outside a 2nd. Hand Shop. and I'm fortunate enough to say that he's allowed me to add it to my Precision stable.

This is a Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Marsden' in a very sorry state, but which I'm sure I can bring back to something usable given time.

It's a 2 piece, 10ft. 2 or 3 in. split cane rod, which is apparently their version of the Mk IV avon rod ... so I'll be fascinated to compare the taper with Mr. Walker's original.

Particularly fascinating is the fact that I also have a later Bernard Sealey and Co. 'Marsden,' which is a 2 piece 10ft. fibre glass rod of 'ferruleless' construction ... so I'm eager to compare the two side by side.

Only a couple of rather shaky photos at present (these were all he gave me to work from ... and told me he at first thought it was 12ft. in length !!!) ... but these will be updated as work starts and progresses ... and, my word ... it does need work.

By the way ... love the 'tulip' tip guide !!!!!

((Yes ... I Know ... that's 26 rods by this maker now !!! :whistle: ))
Last edited by AshbyCut on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Marsden.'

Post by Bumble »

Well done that man.
Bumble

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Very nice Mal! Or it will be once you've worked your magic on it!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Mal,
I'll bet that cane looks absolutely wonderful underneath all the crusty varnish. Like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon. (did you like that?)

It looks like you will have to be very careful saving that Sealey shield but I am sure you will do it. :Thumb:

Wal.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

A lot of work ahead, but I am sure it will look the biz, well done on your find Mal

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

i must say mal you have certainly have your work cut out and i am looking forward to seeing the end result
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The rod arrived safe and sound today ... and I was like a kid at Christmas getting the wrapping off !!!

The condition was exactly as I had been told, with the old varnish peeling away with just a glance ... BUT ... this meant that I could see the cane beneath ... and it looks wonderful. The agate liners in both butt and tip guides are present and crack-free.

I'd seen mention of this rod as a 'carp rod' and a 'Mk. IV.,' so it was straight out with the digital caliper to check the taper., and the scales to check the weight.

The rod weighs in at 12.05oz. (341gr.), with a 28in. handle that will clean up nicely.

As for the tapers, comparable points to those listed as Chapman's Mk. IV tapers, I found the following :-

Precision :- Butt ... 48" = 0.387in. 36" = 0.436in. Tip ... 60" = 0.129in. 48" = 0.197in. 36" = 0.225in. 24" = 0.262in. 3" = 0.129in.

Chapman's :- Butt ... 48" = 0.397in. 36" = 0.433in. Top ... 60" = 0.120in. 48" = 0.184in. 36" = 0.230in. 24" = 0.254in. 3" = 0.137in.

This confirms that the tapers are based on the Walker Mk. IV specification ... and we can regard the 'Marsden' as Robert Sealey's 'Mk. IV.'

A delightful 'extra' is that there's a retailer's sticker still in place and, though a little indistinct, it shows that the rod was originally sold by "Ogden Smith, London, England. Established 1763." I'm sincerely hoping that this can be retained !

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by AshbyCut on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I'm not in the slightest bit jealous.......... I'm not.......... I'm not I tell you :mrgreen:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

You lucky thing. What a great find, good luck with the restoration.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Nice one mal, I look forward to seeing it when you've finished.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”