Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Marsden.'

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Marsden.'

Post by AshbyCut »

I was supposed to be out fishing for the first time in weeks on Tuesday ... and wouldn't you just know it ??? On Monday I was carrying a heavy delivery through the house (Mrs. AC has suet balls to feed the birds in our garden bulk delivered !!!) when I stumbled, and tore a muscle in my back !!! Out of action for ANOTHER week !!!

However ... every cloud has a silver lining, as they say ... and my enforced inactivity has meant I could strip the 'Marsden.'

I've been able to save both the Precision Rods and the Ogden Smith transfers ... and the 75% of the hand written model name that was still in place (I won't be trying to 'touch it up' ... I like the 'patina' look !!! :Thumb: ).

That said ... the cane beneath all that flaking varnish is in wonderful condition ... the handle has scrubbed up well ... and the guides have all polished up like new once the old varnish was removed, and are now taped back in place. Even the original pencil marks for the intermediate whippings are still present !!!

I'm now awaiting the arrival of a new supply of 'Dark Peony' silk from Piper's Silks (the closest match I can find to the original ... and what I used on the Precision Rods 'Princess, as christened by Bumble).

All being well ... the rod will be ready for the beginning of September ... and some autumn action on my syndicate lake.

Last edited by AshbyCut on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

coming up a treat Sir, lovely dark cane, do hope you recover soon :Hat:

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I reckon that will look lovely when you're finished Mal. I sympathise with your back, mine is still twinging a bit.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Real shame about the back Mal! But it looks like your time was well used.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Emerging wonderfully Mal, looking forward to seeing its wings open.

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A bit further along now. The butt is coming along with main whippings being done in Piper's Silks "Dark Peony" 90/3 and the intermediates in 90/2 ... the same colour as I used on the 10ft. 9in. rod which Bumble christened. I've tried to keep the detail whippings within the Precision Rods style.

My eyes are cursing me for doing another rod with over 85 intermediates !!!

Last edited by AshbyCut on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Considering what you started with, you are working miracles.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Looking wonderful, AC. 85 intermediates, that's tough going, but it will be with it.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The butt is now completely whipped and sealed, ready for varnish. I've made a start on the tip ... guides are whipped on and only 54 intermediates to go !!!
Last edited by AshbyCut on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I finished off the tip section whippings today, and they've all had their first coat of sealer. I should be starting on the varnishing by the weekend ... and maybe christening it in a couple of weeks.
Last edited by AshbyCut on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”