Precision Rods 9ft 6in Fly rod (no model name)

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Precision Rods 9ft 6in Fly rod (no model name)

Post by AshbyCut »

Won this evening by a maiden bid on a certain well known internet auction site, I've added to the fly rods made by this company.

It's a 3 piece, all split cane, 9ft. 6in. rod needing complete refurbishment ... and interestingly it has the same cracked and flaking varnish as the 'Marsden' from the same stable which I've just brought back to life.

That's some of the dark, winter evenings filled !!! :Thumb:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Precision Rods 9ft 6in Fly rod (no model name)

Post by Harry H »

Pretty distinctive whipping,is this common for this company? Only I have an unnamed rod with nthis pattern.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Harry H wrote:Pretty distinctive whipping,is this common for this company? Only I have an unnamed rod with this pattern.
I'd be interested to see photos, Sir. The whipping is quite distinctive.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

AshbyCut wrote:
Harry H wrote:Pretty distinctive whipping,is this common for this company? Only I have an unnamed rod with this pattern.
I'll sort some out tomorrow :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

That new reel'll look good on that rod, how can you resist getting them out on the lawn and giving them a swish about?

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

AshbyCut wrote:
Image Image Image Image
Pictures as promised
It's approximately 11 1/2 ft Spanish reed with a spliced built cane top. :Hat:
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

What is the writing on the butt just above the handle ?

If yours is a precision Rods example it may have been rebuilt at some point, and whipped after the fashion of Precision. A couple of points I'd make are ... a) Virtually all the 'match' type rods I've seen by them are not a plain cane finish, but a 'Japanned' black lacquer (although I can see a couple of 'shadows' on the butt section where old intermediate whippings were removed and not replaced, which would suggest yours was never 'black finished') ... b) I've never seen a 'match' type rod by them of 11 1/2 ft ... they usually go from 11ft to 12ft (apart from the 'Brumas' which is 13ft 3 inches ... just to be awkward !!!). c) the whipping just above the handle is usually much more decorative and complex ... like this :-

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

AshbyCut wrote:What is the writing on the butt just above the handle ?

If yours is a precision Rods example it may have been rebuilt at some point, and whipped after the fashion of Precision. A couple of points I'd make are ... a) Virtually all the 'match' type rods I've seen by them are not a plain cane finish, but a 'Japanned' black lacquer (although I can see a couple of 'shadows' on the butt section where old intermediate whippings were removed and not replaced, which would suggest yours was never 'black finished') ... b) I've never seen a 'match' type rod by them of 11 1/2 ft ... they usually go from 11ft to 12ft (apart from the 'Brumas' which is 13ft 3 inches ... just to be awkward !!!). c) the whipping just above the handle is usually much more decorative and complex ... like this :-

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Thanks for the info, the writing is a name R A Blanks which II was told was a local match angler. He also has Rapier and a drawing of one all by the same hand.
They were certainly not short of whipping silk whoever made them!
Thanks again
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”