Precision Rods 'R Sealey's Tudor Supreme' 12ft.

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Precision Rods 'R Sealey's Tudor Supreme' 12ft.

Post by AshbyCut »

What can I say ???

There are occasions in life when one simply has to grasp the chance ... and I cannot express just how delighted I am to have grasped.

Soon be collected to join my Precision Rods stable is this 12ft. version of the 'R. Sealey's Tudor Supreme,' which will perfectly compliment the 11ft. version which I was fortunate enough to acquire earlier this year.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Precision Rods 'R Sealey's Tudor Supreme' 12ft.

Post by LuckyLuca »

Another lovely addition Mal!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Well well, I tried to negotiate a price for this rod, I'll let it run he said, then low and behold it had gone, so I wondered surely not, straight to TFF and yes another Precision snaffled up by Mal !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice Mal.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Another watcher! Same as Mushy!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Mushy wrote:Well well, I tried to negotiate a price for this rod, I'll let it run he said, then low and behold it had gone, so I wondered surely not, straight to TFF and yes another Precision snaffled up by Mal !!
Sorry Mushy, Sir ((mostly)) !!! :oops:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

I saw that rod for auction on the unmentionable website, the seller stated he didn't know it's value.
Poppycock, unless I'm mistaken, he knows all about cane rods and centrepin reels, if it's who I think it is.

ATB Macko

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

No need for apologies Mal, in fact my wife is very grateful !!

On a serious note do you think it's a Tudor Supreme ? The seller seemed a little vague, and the finish at the top of the handle is different to a 11 footer, I think Haydn has a 12 and its different to yours, not that it really matters as its a Precision but it would be good to button it down. Maybe your research is better than mine ?
Best Fishes
Mushy

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Mushy wrote:On a serious note do you think it's a Tudor Supreme ? The seller seemed a little vague, and the finish at the top of the handle is different to a 11 footer, I think Haydn has a 12 and its different to yours, not that it really matters as its a Precision but it would be good to button it down. Maybe your research is better than mine ?
Mushy, Sir ... As far as I'm aware the 'Supreme' was the only all split cane 3 piece rod which Precision Rods produced ... and the fact that the company apparently never produced a catalogue would seem to suggest we'll never truly know otherwise ... unless a 12 footer with a different name turns up !!!

As far as the handles being different it doesn't surprise me at all, especially as the one I've just bought has the 'sliding tube' reel fitting.

The variations when comparing the same models seem to me to highlight just how 'individually hand made' the Precision Rods are. Looking at the photographs, there are subtle variations in the shape of the handles on the 'Vanguard' rods which Gurn and I own.

However, I am fortunate enough to be able to compare a couple of rods of the same name (in original condition) and the variations can be quite striking. The two 'Brumas' rods I have have handles which are 1.5cm (9/32in) different in length ... not much, I know, but noticeable when side by side. Interestingly, the two butt guides are exactly the same distance up the rod ... so their position must have been measured from the top edge of the handle band, and not from the end of the ferrule.

The biggest difference, however, can be seen in two of the three "R. Sealey's Tudor Rose" which I own (apart from the fact that one is in the traditional 'Japan black' finish of the Precision Rods 'match' type rods, and the other is in natural cane). The handles on these two rods vary in length by an astonishing 7.5cm (3 inches) !!! Whether one is later than the other and is a development, we'll never know.

In short ... it all just exemplifies to me that these rods were truly 'hand built,' and that each can be seen as an individual rather than a machine made, identical, mass produced item. It's part of their charm ... and a huge part of why I love them so much.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Lovely rod Mal

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”