"Un-named" 11ft. 3 piece Precision Rod

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

"Un-named" 11ft. 3 piece Precision Rod

Post by AshbyCut »

A phone call out of the blue about 10 days ago started with "I've got a Precision Rod. Are you interested ?" "Possibly," I replied ... and held my breath.

What I was being offered was a rod which, when acquired some time ago, was in a pretty sorry state ... such a state that even the handle was stripped from it with the intent of a complete rebuild that never happened. There was no inscription on it when acquired and prior to stripping (but then there was none on the rod which Bumble eventually christened "The Princess" when I got it), but it had the Precision shield in place ... and it sounded as though it could be something like the 'Supreme' which I already own, with a similar 22 1/2in handle (which I have measured by the shading left on the cane). Negotiations followed ... and the rod was marked to join my 'thicket.'

Well ... it arrived today ... and I'm a very happy chappy !!!

All three sections are straight as the proverbial die ... and the colour of the cane is a delight. It's a through taper, with no compounds in any of the sections.

Image Image

The ferrules are identical to those on my 11ft. 'Supreme,' this time with the figure '3' stamped into them rather than the '10' on the other.

I've been comparing it side by side with my other rods of the same length and construction ... and can confirm that this one is different in it's taper to all of them ... being the most powerful in action, most noticeably in the tip. It's almost as if someone had asked the firm to produce a more powerful 'Supreme,' as it's thicker in the butt as well as the tip ... perhaps aimed at barbel ? Who knows. One day maybe I'll get around to setting up a test curve 'test bed.'

Precision Rods 11ft. 3 Piece Tip Section Taper Comparisons.

“Severn Perfection” 0.263in to 0.122in (6.70 – 3.10mm)
“The Express” 0.256in to 0.103in (6.50 – 2.62mm)
“Tudor Supreme” 0.238in to 0.103in (6.05 – 2.62mm)
“Un-named” 0.260in to 0.124in (6.60 – 3.40mm)

This one will take time ... so don't expect rapid progress. !!! ;-)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

GazTheAngler

Re: "Un-named" 11ft. 3 piece Precision Rod

Post by GazTheAngler »

Looks good Mal

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Looks and sounds like a cracking blank, are you sure you want it :Wink:
I look forward to seeing it ready to fish.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

oh no not again mal that rod looks really nice considering it is stripped down it does make me envious. as you are the owner of precision rods it couldn't got to a better place. well done.
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Evening Mal,

that looks to have the making of a very nice piece of cane.I hope you enjoy the process of completing it .

I have just finished whipping a Octofloat I picked up in Newark antique centre in the summer,it too needed stripping/gluing (not the handle) however me being me (Mr budget man...some may say tight wallet)I have reused all the rings but the chrome was lacking so it was out with the hammerite again and they are looking like new in their new black coats!.....Just the varnish to do .

Regards
Nige.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”