'Twas I ... not that anyone will be surprised !

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: 'Twas I ... not that anyone will be surprised !

Post by AshbyCut »

Harry H wrote:Here's something else for you to look out for
Then again you've probably got at least one. :Chuckle:
Oh b*gg*r !!!!! :hairpull:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

AshbyCut wrote:
Harry H wrote:Here's something else for you to look out for
Then again you've probably got at least one. :Chuckle:
Oh b*gg*r !!!!! :hairpull:
Please don't tell Mrs AC it was me :Scared:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Harry H wrote:Please don't tell Mrs AC it was me :Scared:
Fear not, Sir ... I've just made her a top-up !!! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The 'Express Deluxe' has arrived ... and as soon as I took it from the tube I could see it was an entirely different rod from the 'Express' !!!

It's a different length and, of course, a different weight. Both rods were sold as 11ft., but in fact they aren't. The 'Express' is 10ft. 7in. weighing in at 13.00 oz. (368 gr.) , and the 'Express Deluxe' is 11ft. 1in. and weighs in at 15.85 oz. (450 gr.).

In fact, the 'Express Deluxe' is heavier than the 12ft. 'Tudor Supreme' which is 15.75oz. (447 gr.).

The caliper explains this ... as checking the tapers of all the sections of all three rods I discover (all measurements in mm taken as close as possible to the ferrules and handle):-

Express 12.52 – 11.03 10.44 – 6.85 6.63 – 2.69 (compound taper tip)
Express Deluxe 15.28 – 12.66 11.70 – 8.29 7.07 - 3.08 (compound taper tip)
Tudor Supreme 13.31 – 12.13 10.96 – 7.32 5.99 - 2.71

The 'Express Deluxe' is a powerful rod indeed.

Photos will follow as soon as I can take and download them.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

You will have to excuse me AC but I do chuckle every time you add another post owning up and it almost feels like a conspiracy that Sealey made so many different rods in the knowledge that one day a fine gentlemen would seek them out and provide them with a warm and welcoming home.

I have an understanding with my leader that I have to use all my rods at least once per year to justify owning them and I hope whilst you might achieve the same arrangement your collection of the Sealey products manages to stay just a shade under 365.

Well done - it does look a splendid piece of cane.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

PershoreHarrier wrote:You will have to excuse me AC but I do chuckle every time you add another post owning up
Glad to make you smile Keith, Sir ! I freely admit that this has become an obsession ... and for some time it's been my goal to collect (yes ... I've become a 'collector' !!! Horror of horrors !!! :Wink: ) an example of each of the rods produced by this small family company.

Initially I thought that might mean maybe 15 or 20 rods ... but the fact that they never produced a catalogue (or did they ?????) left me unprepared for the number of different models that would come 'out of the canework,' so to speak. That's standing at 42 currently, with the 3 fibre glass rods I'm collecting tomorrow ... and the 3 split canes I'm collecting at Redditch.

Mrs. AC and my Bank Manager are hoping that it stops 'growing like Topsy' !!! :Scared:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Here are a few photos ... and a few more details about the rod.

I can confirm that it has a compound taper tip section, and that it has a 19 1/2 inch handle ... possibly on the short side for such a powerful rod.

Part of the 'Deluxe' designation, apart from the different length and tapers, is the fact that the reel fittings are of a higher quality, and the handle has an alloy collar whereas the 'Express' is simply cork.

Image Image Image

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Only 42 AC - barely one fishing trip a week then based on my principle - so plenty to go and there is nothing wrong with obsession providing it is directed in such a worthy way so now you are well on the road you just have to keep going. Your latest acquisition does look extremely good and I trust it will get an outing or two in the near future.

As to being a small family business as a lad I always used to think Aspindales had a different name for each rod they ever produced as I never saw two with the same name.

Naturally if I see any Sealey rods on my visits to Antique Centres and the like - rest assured I will pm you.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

PershoreHarrier wrote:Naturally if I see any Sealey rods on my visits to Antique Centres and the like - rest assured I will pm you.
Thank you Sir. That's how I got my Precision Rods "Vanguard" ... their version of the Walker Mk IV. Carp. A contact on the South Coast spotted it languishing in a 'bygones' shop ... going for a tenner. It was in a sorry state ... but scrubbed up quite well, I think.

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=14445

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”