Precision Rods - Range of Cane Rods

The Precision Rods forum.
Luga00
Brown Trout

Re: Precision Rods - Range of Cane Rods

Post by Luga00 »

Sounds like it could be the Kendal Gem?

I know Mal mentions 8ft above but I've seen them listed as 7ft also.

Russ

Peter Foster

Post by Peter Foster »

Not a Kendal Gem Luga, I've seen those. 'The 'Gem' definitely is all that is inscribed, plus it is the precision rods logo. Perhaps a pre runner to the Kendal?

Pete

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Peter Foster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:27 am Hi there Ashby
I have a 7ft Precision split cane spinning rod inscribed 'The Gem'. Are you aware of this model at all?
It's one from my collection that I can find out little about? Any help would be great.
Many thanks
Petr
Good evening Peter, Sir ... and apologies for the slow reply.

Some photos might help, but the only 7ft. split cane rod I've heard of is a fly rod.

The 'Kendal Gem' is a spinning rod, but the only ones I've seen have been 8ft. long. Oh ... and the inscribed name is "R. Sealey's Kendal Gem."

I'd be very interested to see any photos you may have.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Peter Foster

Post by Peter Foster »

Hi Ashby,

I will ask one of the computer lads here to upload a pic for me as soon as I get the chance.
Sure looks like a spinning rod to me though?

Pete

Peter Foster

Post by Peter Foster »

Best I can do, but I assure you it says 'The Gem'
Correction ref the length, it is actually 6' 6'' not 7'

Best

Pete

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Peter Foster wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:44 pmCorrection ref the length, it is actually 6' 6'' not 7'
Best
Pete
Thanks for that Pete, Sir.

Looks like it may have been a 'one-off' made to a customer's specification, as all the ones designed 'in-house' had Robert Sealey's name (whether it was Bernard's son or grandson, as both were named Robert) ... like the 'R. Sealey's Kendal Gem' in these pictures :-

What length is the handle, and is it a similar shape to the one I have ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Peter Foster

Post by Peter Foster »

The handle is 14'' long. I forgot to take a pic of the butt guide which is lined, the tip ring is a replacement that needs sorting and the rest are steel.
I'm actually thinking of selling this one as I will have no use for it. I only collect what I use, so it will go in my surplus box. It would appear it's a one of it's kind then?

Cheers

Pete

John-A
Stickleback

Post by John-A »

At our local weekend general auction I was fortunate to have secured a bundle of old fishing tackle including some pretty ancient implements ( a horrendous old fish spear was in the basket along with two gaffs) 3 centrepin reels, an assortment of old tackle and floats and three rods in bags.

I was bidding online so hadn't had chance to handle and examine the lot, but as the winning bit for the whole lot only cost me £14 there were no thoughts of anything great

When I collected them I was pleased with one rod in particular though. On getting it of the bag and seeing it for the first time I found this 12 foot model by Bernard Sealey's Precision Rods and would love a bit of help in identifying and restoring it.

To be fair, it doesn't need a great deal of work to make it useable, ring replacement being the main issue.

I've looked at Ashby Cut's excellent list and find that this one doesn't appear unless I've missed it.

My rod seems to be a bit of a later cross between the 12ft Rapid Strike' and a 13ft 'Brumas'

The rod is 3 equal 4 ft sections with brass ferrules, the butt section appears to be Reed, the middle section is Reed spliced to Whole Cane and the tip is a brown Hollow Glass.

All seem to be contemporary with each other and in pretty good condition although one intermediate ring is missing from the tip section and I think it may be replacements for these that I will have the greatest difficulty in sourcing.

Here's a few photographs, any help will be very much appreciated.Image
Last edited by John-A on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

John-A wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:28 amHere's a few photographs, any help will be very much appreciated.Image
Looking forward to seeing the photos, and will try to help, of course.

John-A
Stickleback

Post by John-A »

Hello, just back briefly from hols then off again, but I've tried to post the pictures again without success, any advice will be very welcome

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”