Sealey Precision (Tip Action)

The Precision Rods forum.
John Harding
Rudd

Sealey Precision (Tip Action)

Post by John Harding »

[ Good afternoon everyone,

A week or more ago I posted regarding a Sealey Precision (Tip Action) rod that came in an auction lot, I gave it a trial a couple of days after getting it home, on the Montgomery Canal. To be fair to the rod it was not the place to give it a fair trial as it was very narrow and I could not use an overhead cast and due to the closeness of my float I could not strike with any confidence and I only managed to catch three small fish which did not give it much of a test.

I decided to have another go this morning and I went down to my local Shropshire Union Canl, only about five minutes away in the car, I had intended starting fishing about 5 a.m. but my bed won the contest and I didn't start until 7 a.m.

This was the swim I chose :-

When I started it was very cloudy and overcast and it was trying to rain on and off, I thought I was going to have some competition as after a little while a kingfisher flew past but he didn't stop to say hello. A little bit later on though this cheeky chap dropped into the next swim :-

The fishing didn't start that well as I missed the first two bites and bumped off a good fish on the third atemp. Usually when you bump a fish on the canal it spells disaster as with it being quite shallow it spooks any other fish that were there. Eventually though I had a few bites and managed to catch two good bream, one about 2lbs plus and one maybe a bit over 3lbs both on sweetcorn, I then managed a nice roach on a piece of corn and followed that with a smaller bream of around 1 lb on a piece of flake and a tiny roach on flake as well. I did manage to lose another good fish which I didn't see, I suspect it was another good bream as it chugged around for a short while before it came off.

The rod's description of "Tip Action" is correct as all of the action is in the spliced cane top and it handled the big bream well. I find that after using modern carbon rods which have a very fast response in the tip I have to make considerable adjustments in the way I cast and strike with a tradional cane rod as they are just not as responsive, once the fish are on though they give just as much pleasure in the way they handle the lunges of the fish.

Hope this has been of interest.
Regards,
John Harding.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Sealey Precision (Tip Action)

Post by AshbyCut »

Super angling on 'the cut,' Sir. Well done. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”