Precision Rods "un-named" 8ft. fly rod

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Precision Rods "un-named" 8ft. fly rod

Post by AshbyCut »

The good stuff is out ...

Winging it's way to me is my 75th different rod from this maker ...

I have been fortunate enough to acquire a Precision Rods un-named fly rod (therefore probably a 'bespoke customer order') ... being a 2 piece, 8ft. in length, all split cane fly rod (my 10th. cane rod bearing this badge).

The photo of the badge showing not enough space between the transfer and the whipping for any factory hand penned script shows it was a 'special order,' or a 'prototype.'

ImageImageImageImageImage
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Precision Rods "un-named" 8ft. fly rod

Post by Nigel Rainton »

75 !!! :-)

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

That's quite a collection, probably the world's biggest!

JW

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Interesting, have you considered that may have been re-whipped at some stage?
I think if I was fortunate enough to be able to order a special I would have at least had my name put on it
....just a thought :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Paul D wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:17 am Interesting, have you considered that may have been re-whipped at some stage?
I think if I was fortunate enough to be able to order a special I would have at least had my name put on it
....just a thought :Hat:
Paul, Sir ... I now have 12 of these 'un-named' rods from Precision Rods and Bernard Sealey & Co., too many to be coincidental.

A 'signature' of this maker is the intricate whipping just above the handle (apart from the much later fibre glass rods) ... and in every case the badge is positioned too close to the whipping to allow for and model name to be hand written in the space. I admit it's only speculation on my part ... but the only reasons I can think of for this are either 'prototype' or 'customer order.' Bernard's son and grandson ... both "R. Sealey" (both christened Robert) almost invariably added their names to the rods they designed (eg "R. Sealey's Brumas" or "R. Sealey's Festival").

As evidence of the badge positioning on 'named' and 'un-named' rods I offer the following examples (all I am sure with original whippings) of which I have just taken a photo.

The top rod is an "un-named" 3 piece, 9ft. 6in. fly rod ... the centre is an "un-named" 2 piece, 8ft. 6in fly rod ... and at the bottom, a ""named" "R. Sealey's Tudor Lightweight," a 2 piece, 7ft. fly rod. As you can see ... on the two un-named rods the "Precision Rods" badge is almost identically positioned the same distance (8cm.) from the top end of the cork handle. However ... on the named rod ... it is positioned higher up the rod (11cm. from the cork), to allow for a space between the badge and the top of the whipping for the inscription. This happens on all the rods I have, which has led to my speculation.

I am, of course, open to other suggestions ...

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I bow to your knowledge Mal, as I said it was just a early morning thought! A lovely looking rod whatever, wonder if you'll make the magic "ton"? Surely a occasion for a group photograph :cheers:

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”